URGENT!!!CORN SNAKE LOST IN WALLS!!!! - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-25-2018, 02:00 PM   #21
hotlips
Frustrating to be on "snake time" isn't it? They have literally nothing better to do than wait in their hiding places while we go crazy, and despite the fact that their instincts don't necessarily lead them to their best future. Has he been leaving any tracks in the flour?

Old 02-26-2018, 10:36 AM   #22
Zach8498
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlips View Post
Frustrating to be on "snake time" isn't it? They have literally nothing better to do than wait in their hiding places while we go crazy, and despite the fact that their instincts don't necessarily lead them to their best future. Has he been leaving any tracks in the flour?
He still hasn't left any tracks in the flour. I think he doesn't want to come out because there's almost always someone nearby. Or maybe it's too cold.

Old 02-26-2018, 11:37 AM   #23
Lucille
Zach, some practical advice: research whether there are dangerous or moving parts he can get to- if you keep the dishwasher closed, he won't be able to get inside it. If there are no external moving parts, your Mom can use her dishwasher, and the snake can come out when it gets ready.

Old 02-26-2018, 12:29 PM   #24
tim brophy
He may or may not show up some day, but if he is truly in your wall, he could freely move around the frame of your house and never be found.
My advice, keep looking. Mainly look at night. They typically crawl next to a wall. Use a flashlight. I have never heard of anyone successfully finding a lost snake by using a mouse as bait.
I would chalk it up to experience and get another cornsnake. Inexpensive and easily replaceable.

Old 02-26-2018, 03:29 PM   #25
hotlips
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim brophy View Post
I would chalk it up to experience and get another cornsnake. Inexpensive and easily replaceable.
While corn snakes may indeed be "inexpensive and easily replaceable" I take exception to your saying that, as it encourages snake keepers to treat their animals like cheap throw-away toys instead of the uniquely beautiful living creatures they are. I hope you didn't mean it that way, but that's how it sounds. I've kept a countless number of snakes for literally decades, but I'd sure stop if that's how I felt about them...they are still pets, aka "family members" to me, and obviously to the OP as well.

Old 02-26-2018, 04:09 PM   #26
tim brophy
My comment up above did sound a bit colder than I meant for it to sound. By all means, continue the search. If after a sufficient period of time you have not recovered the snake, you may wish to purchase a new one. But I hope it shows up!

Old 02-26-2018, 05:14 PM   #27
hotlips
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach8498 View Post
He still hasn't left any tracks in the flour. I think he doesn't want to come out because there's almost always someone nearby. Or maybe it's too cold.
Snakes feel the vibrations from when we merely walk on the floor, or close cupboard doors, and yes, your physical presence may inhibit him as well. Even a snake that is used to being a pet will rely on their wild instincts when they are free to roam. He will naturally be afraid of you too, but it's not "personal".

They normally lay low until they are hungry or thirsty, & I believe you said he was fed several days prior? So that suggests he won't be hungry for a while, and assuming the floor & walls are chilly, he may very well decide to "hibernate" for a while, possibly a few months. I agree that he may be in the wall, but nowhere near your dishwasher by now. You'll need patience & luck to get him back. Remember too that he's apt to be more active at night: if you (all) stay out of the room with lights off (like right before going to bed), you might tiptoe back to check with a flashlight. They also smell water, & maybe a small bowl of water would lure him out too, but again, it might take a while- maybe try that in a week or two?

For future reference, I want to share an observation that goes back to the very first snake I ever kept: I lived in a condo then, & let my snake out on the carpeted floor for exercise & to see what he'd do. Time after time, he unerringly headed for the sliding glass door, because he could smell that tiny bit of fresh air that leaked in and it obviously got him curious, even from way across the room. So any holes in your walls have the same effect, as snakes have an incredible sense of smell. That is why others have lost snakes in their bathrooms, because there is often extra space around where a pipe comes thru the wall: a snake will head right for that.

It's possible that some other tiny hole will allow him to escape to outside the house, but I hope not. Snakes do learn their way around & I hope instead that he finds his way back inside.

Years ago I got a yearling Everglades rat snake from a pet store in trade for one of my hatchlings: this was a snake they had sold as a hatchling to someone locally, but the snake escaped & spent months loose before they were able to catch it. Then they no longer wanted it (-that might have been a parent saying "no more pet snake if you can't contain it"?) & returned it to the store, where it was a little feistier than the store was comfortable with.
He was just scared, & he was a great pet that I was very happy to have.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:54 AM   #28
Zach8498
MY CAT FOUND HIM LAST NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-27-2018, 12:25 PM   #29
hotlips
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach8498 View Post
MY CAT FOUND HIM LAST NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm afraid to ask, did he survive the cat?

Old 02-27-2018, 12:41 PM   #30
Zach8498
I just realized I forgot to put information about how I found him for people in the future who need info about getting a snake out of their walls. I had been staying awake at night to try to catch him while he went out to get water. He must have come out last night after I had fallen asleep in a chair. I have 2 cats. One cat like to play with snakes to death, the other is extremely scared of snakes. Luckily, the mean one was outside. So he must have been following my snake until morning. When I woke up, there was a trail in the flour and some paw prints. I could hear my cat hissing. He was standing by the door to my parents' room. He wouldn't even get close to my snake. lol. My cute little snek was curled up on the floor, basking in the sunlight coming through the window. If anyone in the future needs information about getting a snake out of a wall, here's what worked for me:
Put flour on the floor to see if the snake left the hiding place and where it's going. I highly recommend keeping any cats or dogs locked up at night if you can. My cat never got close to my snake, but still scared him. Leave the snake's water dish near where the snake got into the wall. I decided not to use a trap because I didn't want my snake to get trapped in a bottle and be vulnerable to my cats. If you don't have cats or dogs, a trap might be fine. I don't know if it made a difference, but I turned up the temperature to 73 to prevent him from hibernating. He got into the walls on 2/21/18 at about noon. He got out of the walls on 2/27/18 some time after 1 am. He was in the walls for almost a week. He had eaten 2 days before he got into the walls, so he probably wasn't hungry until around the time he decided to come out.
Thanks everybody. You guys really helped me a lot. I hope my mistake can help somebody in the future.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!