Help identifying this Rosy Boa locality. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Rosy, Sand, Ground Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-24-2010, 08:03 PM   #1
dgordon
Help identifying this Rosy Boa locality.

Found this guy in a small mom and pop type suburban Atlanta pet store while looking for a Western Hognose. I know next to nothing about Rosy's, but I was taken by his steel blue color, orange stripes, and his fantastic eye color. This is absolutely a stunning snake. The clerk working the reptile area called him a "Sonoran Bluesides". Searching Google yielded nothing, but did lead me here.

Can anyone provide more information on the alleged "Sonoran Bluesides" locality, or perhaps a more proper identification as to this Rosy's most likely locality?

Thanks in advance!

Dennis
Attached Images

Old 08-25-2010, 12:36 PM   #2
Elizabeth Minton
i think it is a desert rosy boa... you should check on google... i dont know alot about rosy boas. check out this site.. your picture matches a coastal rosy boa

http://cannundrum.blogspot.com

Old 08-25-2010, 12:39 PM   #3
Elizabeth Minton
go to the website, click on index animals and plants, scroll down to snakes, click on rosy boa

Old 08-25-2010, 02:59 PM   #4
dgordon
Hi Elizabeth,

Thank you for very much for your helpful suggestions.

Although I was hoping someone might be able to pinpoint the locale a bit better than the nondescript "Sonoran Bluesides" I received from the pet shop. Even a somewhat firm "coastal" or "desert" would help. Unfortunately the pet shop will not tell me who the local breeder is, from whom I could undoubtedly get all my questions answered. The search continues!

--
Dennis

Old 08-30-2010, 03:18 PM   #5
Charis
If you haven't already found this site, it is pretty extensive & the forum there seems to be fairly active with some people that are good at I.D. locales.
http://www.localityrosys.com/localities.php

Old 08-30-2010, 04:30 PM   #6
dgordon
That's a great site with some excellent information, Amanda. Thank you very much! I'll engage their forum folks for some help identifying this Rosy locale.

Thanks again!

--
Dennis

Old 09-21-2010, 10:39 AM   #7
kuroangales
It looks like my Anza-Borrego rosy boa. It is definately a coastal locality.

Old 10-01-2010, 05:33 PM   #8
RockRatt
I too was gonna say to check out localityrosys forum with your pic attached. It is an intergrade rosy probably from Whitewater area. You can tell intergrade due to the spots in the intermediary striping. NOW without KNOWING FOR SURE where/what locality it came from it will never be a locality pure rosy. Not trying to sound harsh but just letting you know that a LOCALITY PURE Rosy is like having a pedigree for a dog. The problem is that a coastal rosy can be bred with a desert rosy to create that look also. The people on locality rosys site will probably tell you the same, MOST are purist when it comes to locality rosys (myself included). Rosys are great pets dont get me wrong. But without either finding a rosy in the wild or getting it from a TRUSTED rosy breeder it cannot be guaranteed to be a locality pure specimen. Please feel free to post on the site. It is filled with the most knowledgable rosy guys around.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:58 PM   #9
jdustin
I totally agree with Rockratt. Unless you know the animal's history it's just a cool rosy boa, but in my opinion, even a non-locality rosy is cooler than any snake of any other species.
But one thing's for sure, your snake is like the perfect example of an integrade boa. They can look like that across that whole area where the deserts and coastals naturally mix. Something about the way the jagged striped coastals mix with the straight stripe deserts creates that almost pin striping down the middle of the grey stripes... if that makes sense. I hear this called intermediary striping or secondary striping.

Localityrosys has the best rosy info around. You will probably also enjoy the locality rosy boa image project. It that has over 700 great pictures of just about every locality known to man, and is completely provided by various rosy boa enthusiasts. I manage the project, and it can be found at, http://borderboas.com/
-Josh - Rosybozo

You can see the secondary striping pretty well on that last image of your snake... and on this one from Yucca Valley:

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!