Forum Sponser- Justyn Miller (aka "Intense Herpetoculture") - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-10-2004, 11:11 PM   #1
Intense Herpetoculture
Forum Sponser- Justyn Miller (aka "Intense Herpetoculture"

Well, my name is Justyn Miller and I've been into leopard geckos for about 4-5 years now and have built up an impressive collection of various leopard gecko morphs. I currently own a business called Intense Herpetoculture (www.IntenseHerp.com), and I like to think of various ways to improve the reptile trade in general. It is my dream that within the next few years I'll start several captive breeding programs aimed to reduce the amount of imported reptiles by providing quality CBB animals in large numbers to the general herp trade. I'm currently in the process of starting this endeavor, and I'm already enjoying it.

While my focus on this forum is leopard geckos I have extremely varied interests. I am deeply into chameleons, tarantulas, cichlids, pipid frogs, and the list goes on. I currently run several breeding programs with many highly endangered salamanders of Central Texas under a sub-company called Plethodontid Research. I currently write and supply photographs for several hobbyist magazines, mostly detailing the captive care of tropical fish and herps. I also have a keen green thumb, and in the past I worked in the landscape and nursery with good success. Although I no longer work with plants on a commercial level, they still have my interest captured.

I am also a bat rehabilitator, and the founder of a non-profit organization called the "Bat Conservation Project". Not only do I rehab bats, but in my spare time I give free educational demonstrations and talks at various schools, boy scoot meetings, garden centers, etc profiling the need for conservation of bat species within the wild.

Old 04-10-2004, 12:03 PM   #2
ronlina
I think what you are doing is beyond amazing, it takes a lot of dedication and work to be so commited! It's also awesome how much passion you have for the subject.

I graduate from (measly) highschool soon and hope to someday create better atmospheres around reptiles and animals in general, especially as far as their mistreatment in pet stores go. I'm glad there are many people out there that have the same concerns with the education of people on matters of animals as well.

I guess I just thought I'd put that out there. - what you and others do to help out any part of the animal/human world clash is pretty impressive.
I wish you the best of luck and success with what you are doing, I really think it's great.

Old 04-24-2004, 06:17 AM   #3
abubbae
problem

hi

i think it's great that you care. being interested in this kind of thing takes heart. the fact that you care about things other than selling creatures for i don't know what is a good qualitiy. i don't know that keeping these as pets is ok. and i think making them for money is not ok.
this is my problem. can you tell me why this may be ok, as an animal lover and person of this earth?

thanks

site user.

Old 04-24-2004, 06:46 AM   #4
Intense Herpetoculture
You have to understand that for people to have an interest in any species of animals and/or plants they have to understand and be captivated by them. By nature we are selfish if you like that or not, I simply accept it, in fact, I embrace it. I think if properly done the reptile industry can be one of the first steps for people pushing conservation issues and we should embrace this goal as a hobby. These captive animals inspire so many people to dedicate their entire lifes to studying these animals both in the wild and within captivity. How can you go against that? Sure, many animals are imported in huge numbers in poor conditions, we need to change that. We also need to educate the introductory hobby in a larger degree then we are currently doing. These are all goals I am working towords. I enjoy these animals, I love learning as much as I can about them through captive ovbservations. I've always been a firm in the words "Consevation through education."

As for making money on the herp trade, I'm 100% for it. Higher profits mean healthier animals. Profits allow people like me to dedicate their lifes to learning as much as they can about these animals. The amount of time I am able to dedicate to learning more about reptiles is due to profits made through the reptile trade. It makes sure I am always on the cutting edge in relation to new knowledge, ideas, and health issues. The animals benifit from a profit and I would love to see you prove otherwise.

Old 04-24-2004, 09:18 AM   #5
WebSlave
Quote:
and i think making them for money is not ok.
this is my problem. can you tell me why this may be ok, as an animal lover and person of this earth?
Well I think this argument can be applied to anything anyone does for money, Abe. Is it ethical for doctors to charge for their services when you come to them out of need for an illness? How about your job? Do you charge your employer for your time and efforts by accepting a paycheck? Are you doing a service that someone else needs or wants? Why are you charging for that?

The fact that other people are willing to pay money for the efforts someone expends to produce merchandise or services is indicative that the PURCHASERS find those efforts worth paying for. People are willing to buy animals from the people willing to expend the time and effort to produce healthy and attractive ones to offer them.

Fact of the matter is that I would have to say that most of the animals for sale in the marketplace today would not even exist on this planet if those people working with them and breeding them had not gone through the efforts to do so. One would have to ponder just how many more leopard geckos there are on this planet now, then there was before so many people began engaging in captive bred projects with them. In effect, we are talking about an artificially produced population that would not even exist otherwise. So where exactly is the harm in doing that?

Old 04-25-2004, 01:58 AM   #6
abubbae
Thumbs up good answer

thanks for answering my harshly put question.
i have leos and i love them. i just worry about their happiness.
i am also concerned with the way places like petco(which is where i bought mine) market these animals as super easy to take care of.
while they are easy to care for, it's not as easy as buying a silly over priced kit. they need much attenion.
thanks again
abe

Old 06-11-2004, 07:16 PM   #7
Xelda
Hey Justyn, I was catching up on reading the last 4 issues of Reptiles Magazine, and I noticed your article on jackson chameleons! Definitely cool.

Old 06-13-2004, 01:37 PM   #8
Intense Herpetoculture
Thank you Olivia. If I did not say so before, I do hope you enjoyed your few months overseas.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!