Tell me about yourselves - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-09-2004, 03:00 PM   #1
Blazin
Question Tell me about yourselves

Would like to hear from you guys. Where your from what all your working with and any special projects you have going on.
Hope to hear from all of you!

Old 06-09-2004, 07:26 PM   #2
Glenn Bartley
My femle BD just laid her first 13 eggs. I got them from a reputable source a while back, bought ten and sold eight to pay for the two I kept. I tried to check on their lineage again to see what to expect but my old pc went kerplunk and until I pull the data off the hard drive, oh well. I do know most were a combo of yellowxhypo or something or other (LOL). I did not buy em to breed anything special, but always figured if they had babies I could sell them to fund the hobby; I would of course sell them as nice BDs and not as any particular morph, unless I can recall what in heck they are. I am pretty sure the Dad was a German Giant x Yellow Head, or was that the mom - oh well. The other was a hypoxsomething but I'll be darned if I can remember now almost 2 years later. They are about 22 months old.

I am pretty sure getting them out in the real sunshine helped them to get into breeding mode. I started putting them out now and again when there were warmer days earlier this spring. Time will tell if the egg are good. It would be quite interesting to see the BDs hatch out. Hopefully all will go well.

I am also hopeful my Desert Iguanas will breed but no activity noted yet. Oh well, next year maybe if not this year - they did not arrive in as good a condition as they had been advertised to have been... Now they seem in fine health after a lot of TLC.

Best regards,
Glenn B

Old 06-10-2004, 05:43 PM   #3
Blazin
Cool.

Hey thats cool. Keep us posted and let me know on the Desert Iguanas. I love those guys!

Old 06-10-2004, 11:13 PM   #4
jenn
just me

I don't have any projects going unless you count collecting reps. I have a Savannah monitor who is about 91/2 months. My little man Ra who is 4 months. and the newest to the collection a Columbian Boa who is about 6 months. Thats all about me. No real fun or cool stuff like breeding.

Old 06-11-2004, 01:35 AM   #5
Blazin
HEY

Thats cool. Just having and keeping herps is FUN ! I want boas and don't have any yet Jen! Don't downplay your stuff. If breeding is a goal. Just work to get there. Sounds to me like you have some cool animals and that starting a collection. I want to get some boa's myself. Keep us posted and don't be a stranger. Thanks for sharing!

Old 06-11-2004, 08:29 AM   #6
Glenn Bartley
Jenn,

I have been breeding them for quite awhile now about 18 years or so, but heck I don't think I started breeding herps until I was at least 30. Oh man that makes me feel old. The thing is I was keeping them since I have been about 8 (with lots of help back then from my Uncle and a bit from my mom), started keeping them without help by the time I was about 11 or 12 (maybe as young as 10), and started getting help again (this time from my kids) quite a few years ago. So I had them for many years without breeding projects and it was still COOL. Don't ever downplay JUST keeping them, I mean why shortchange yourself on the fun and learning experience that you are having. My daughter who is going to be in her third year of college just told me she wants to get into herps and wants some sort of a gecko for her dorm room! Now that IS cool as it gets. So cool it almost made me fall over when I heard her say so. My son has a nice Standings Day Gecko. in is room in a nice planted vivarium. He knows how to care for the lizard (with prodding from me to remember to feed it) and has a green thumb too I guess because the plants look great.

We have all the other herps in the basement. Nothing fancy, just in plain old tanks but they are well cared for. All in all we have:

1.1 Bearded Dragons
1.1 Desert Iguanas
0.1 Eastern Fence Lizard (I think)
0.0.3 Fire Bellied Toads
0.0.2 Herman's Tortoises
1.0 Stinkpot (Musk Turtle)
1.1.1 Desert Kingsnakes (splendida)
1.1 Western Hognose Snakes
1.1 Ball Pythons
0.0.1 Rubber Boa (and one missing hopefully still in the basement)
1.1 Baird's Rat Snakes

We also have a small mouse colony, two dogs and a cat. Our collection is down from the days when I was regularly keeping up to 40 snakes. Yet, even if I had only one herp, it would be pretty cool. I used to keep a Savannah Monitor, but only had him for about a year or maybe a bit less. I bought it on an impulse (not a good idea but it happens). I gave him away or sold him to someone at my herp society years ago. They are neat lizards but I sure hope you have room for it when it grows.

That Boa sounds nice too. I had a few of these over the years but again only for a year or less each time. I knew they would get too big for me. I kept them, let them grow awhile, then traded them or sold them so I could get other herps. All part of the fun of the hobby. I of course, knew beforehand to whom I could trade or sell them. I made sure of that because I did not want to get stuck with a double digit, in feet, long snake.

Learn all you can from the herps you have. If you ever want o get into breeding, I suggest African House Snakes. Easy to care for, and they breed like rabbits.

Chad,

You must have brought me some luck. When I replied to this thread the first time, it made me think of going to check on my critters to see if any more had laid any eggs. Sure enough I found 9 Hognose eggs, and 8 Desert Kingsnake Eggs. My BD eggs look none to great, but have not gone bad yet, although my guess from past experience with snake eggs is that they are doomed. I am thinking the female had them in her too long before I gave her a laying box. She had been showing digging on and off for over a month. I put her in a deep sand box to no avail. Then I had her out in a pen in the back yard thinking she would dig out there, I figured this way I did not need a large amount of deep sand as she could use the soil in the yard. That may have been a blunder on my part. I don’t know , I mean she just as easily could have dug in the yard and the so was warm and easy to dig in, I mixed in some sand last year in the spot where I have the pen. Of course it could just be that her first batch would have been slugs regardless. But I am still somewhat hopeful.

Best regards,
Glenn B

Old 06-11-2004, 06:21 PM   #7
jenn
thanks

Thanks you guys for me making me feel welcome! I love my keeping my reps. Sometimes I think they are more intresting then my 3 cats. lol
Glenn,
On a side note i do have the room for both. MY sav has a 6ft cage and Princess(my boa) has a nice big cage coming from Jungle Habitats. Thats why I have to put a hold on my collection. I need a bigger house. lol
Again thanks you two for making me feel welcome.

Old 06-11-2004, 06:24 PM   #8
jenn
ooppss

By the way congrats on the eggs!!!!!!!!!! I hope the bd ones aren't all bad.
ok now i'm done

Old 06-11-2004, 07:40 PM   #9
Glenn Bartley
A 6 foot cage wow, hope he does not out grow that one or the whole house may become a cage...

Old 06-20-2004, 05:38 PM   #10
SarlinaToorima
Hey people,

I don't have any specific projects going right now, basically due to a relationship going sour. Right now I'm just trying to nurse my animals back to health after they were left with my ex. I have three leos, two boys and a girl. One boy is great, the other two are really bad but getting better every day. I also have a 4 year old female beardie and a 3 year old male. Kojo and Leviathan. They produced a clutch for me two years ago. Kojo is a bit skinny but eating like a pig. I have a uromastyx who is the most skitzoid devil I've ever seen but he's prolly my favorite lizard. I also have a 2 year old red tail boa and a 10 month old puppy who has been taking devil lessons for the uro.

Sarlina

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!