help with new boxie - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 06-26-2004, 01:31 AM   #1
princess07840
help with new boxie

I know it takes some time to get used to a new environment but I could use some help from experienced people out there,
ok I got a box turtle, she has everything she needs in her pen including 3 foot fencing to keep her in and to keep predators out. She is eating the meal worms but so far not the earthworms, she is also not eating any of the salad that iam giving to her. She has dug a hole which she sleeps in at night and goes to from time to time during the day, iam trying to leave her be, except for the feeding of the meal worms and changing of her water because recently i believe she is trying to bite me, i see her putting her head back and opening her mouth wide. I just got her in the mail on wednesday, which she was great that day, still only eating worms but she enjoyed her warm bath and all. i also got her vitamins -reptocal. If anyone has any suggestions of what i might be doing wrong or things i haven't tried yet, please let me know.

Old 06-26-2004, 12:22 PM   #2
Vince
sounds like everything is going well, try feeding her some fruit, box turtles dont really like greens to much, try feeding her strawberrys they love that. also dandylions. they are very attracted to reds and yellows. also make sure her water dish is large anough for her to get into and soak. as long as she is eating the meal worms you are in good shape. you boxie is most likely wild cought so it may be a good idea to de-worm her. as well as have a nesting site , becuse who knows what she was doing out in the wild. you may end up with some eggs. so be ready for that.

Old 06-26-2004, 12:38 PM   #3
princess07840
Lightbulb

thanks for your help, i have gotten her to nibble on a earthworm and i intended to use this as last resort, but i did put a teaspoon of wet dog food and she also nibbled that. I did forget to say she is a young turtle, I will try the foods you said also.
I read that young ones are mainly meat eaters and i read about feeder fish such as rosies and pinkies and even pink salmon, what do you suggest on these foods?

Old 06-26-2004, 12:45 PM   #4
Vince
i dont really like to feed my box turtles dog food, its just to fatty, but if your looking for a varied diet dry some tuna in a can. and yeah the younger box turtles mainly go after bugs or rotting meat. i dont know how accessable this stuff is to you but mine love cactus pads and hibiscus flowers. also pet shops sell a canned box turtle food. what species of box turtle do you have?

Old 06-26-2004, 12:47 PM   #5
Vince
adult box turtles eat almost anything, but fresh WCs will defently be a little picky, and some may never eat at all. thats why your already a step ahead. good luck with her, just try new things and feed her what she likes.

Old 06-26-2004, 01:00 PM   #6
Vince
hey check these guys out, i rehabed a female box turtle that was ran over by a lawn mower, and had some pretty bad shell wounds. she laid these three eggs, just thought u would like to take a look.
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2004, 01:23 PM   #7
princess07840
Question

very cute, but what you said earlier, gosh i hope she doesnt lay eggs just yet.
Do you think she would be alright alone or does she need companionship?

Old 06-26-2004, 01:33 PM   #8
princess07840
Iam not sure exactly what she is , i believe an ornate box turtle, she has the line down her shell and looks like the same markings as the pics that u just posted.

Old 06-26-2004, 01:46 PM   #9
Vince
how big is she? get a ruler and messure just the top of the shell.or take a couple pics with something to compair her size to, and i can tell you if its an adult or not.

Old 06-26-2004, 01:53 PM   #10
princess07840
I measured the shell to be 5 inches and from looking at some box turtle care sheets, she looks alot like the florida box turtle, i really dont know much except that she came from texas.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!