Smallest boa? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-19-2004, 06:52 PM   #1
Sm0k3d
Smallest boa?

I understand that normally it would be island boa's, yet some of these are very expensive. I have been looking at Hogg Island boa's yet they seem a little hard to get ahold of and many are 200+ and I'm only looking to spend 160 or so. Are there any other boa's that have marking like a red-tail that stay in the 5-6ft range? Not looking for an 80lb boa. I also have understood that I can not feed it as often. What would this be?? Once a month a rat when it gets larger? Back when I had my burmese I fed him once a week a large rat and he was about 7' but I had to sell him. Thank you.

Old 11-19-2004, 09:28 PM   #2
Karen Hulvey
This is probably not what you're looking for, but have you thoght about sand boas? They are a small boa that is fairly inexpensive.

Karen
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2004, 10:44 PM   #3
Sm0k3d
lol i've read about them and they aren't what i'm looking for. I'm looking for a BCI that stays about 6ft. I was thinking about a hogg but the only ones I like are the orange sears line. Not really into the "Speckled" look. Other ones I was looking at was a ecuadors, costa ricas, honduras, and Nicaragua boa's. I really like the look that the honduras boas produce, but also some of the others! I specifically like the "red" on the underneath of the honduras boas and ecuador boas.

I guess my main questions are, which are the easiest to get and Not highly expensive ($175 max) and are easy to keep? Also is the female more agressive than the male? And how much larger do the females usually get. Thanks..

Old 11-20-2004, 10:37 AM   #4
snakebiteAZ1
Nicaraguan's

They are nice boas, a friend of mine in Phoenix breeds them, he has some nice looking ones.. He bought some wild caught ones a few years ago and he only paid 20 dollars for them. Of course i would not recommend wild caught's but the CB ones are not very expensive.. They are starting to get more popular.. Good luck Mike Leonard

Old 11-20-2004, 12:33 PM   #5
Mark and Aimee
You can find Cay Caulker and Sonoran Desert Boas for less than $200... Both will be very small, maxing out somewhere around 5 ft.

Hog Island boas are not small. I've owned a 7 ft female.

Old 11-20-2004, 12:58 PM   #6
CARLiTO_
Hey, have u heard of the candoia boas? They come from New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Fiji Islands and Indonesian Islands. They stay relatively small (4-6 feet) and some might argue better looking than alot of bcc's/bci's.

Here are some pics.

Here is a good site with info..
Candoia Info

Here in Toronto, babies go for $125 and adult for $200 so it should be cheaper in the US.

Here is a good US site with pretty reasonable prices..
Aquarium Stuffers

Old 11-20-2004, 06:26 PM   #7
Sm0k3d
does any one know what kind of boa this is?? I was told its a columbian BCI.. though it doesn't look like one.
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2004, 09:36 PM   #8
robin d.
Quote:
You can find Cay Caulker and Sonoran Desert Boas
definately agree, also nic's right now you can find them for starting around $80 plus shipping. and of course on up but for 125 or 150 you can get a very nice looking nic.

Quote:
Hey, have u heard of the candoia boas
these animals have alway intrigued me but i have yet to get one i think it';s because i hear they can be a pain in feeding rodents.

have you throught about some of the rainbowboas?

you still need to feed them normal they just grow at a much slower pace. now i do not mean power feed them but feed them once every 7-10 days and when they get adult size you might want to feed them once every two weeks (appropriate size meals of course) but it really will de pend on the animal... some you can feed them once a month and they do great others need that 7-10 day period but it usually lies somewhere inbetween for an adult

Old 11-21-2004, 12:24 AM   #9
Sm0k3d
Well it seems I couldn't pass up the deal! I had to get the boa pictured above. Columbian Redtail, 18" feeding on 1 fuzzy weekly, comes with a Boaphiles 322D cage (3ftx2ftx17.5") with built in floor heating, and built in heating lamp and all accesories for $180. I'm so excited and can't wait to pick it up next Saturday! I've heard not to put a large water container in the cage as it can drown.. is this true?? Also would 83-85 ambient temps be good with 90-95 basking temps for a baby snake be fine? Here's another picture.
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2004, 08:03 AM   #10
CARLiTO_
Quote:
Originally posted by Sm0k3d
does any one know what kind of boa this is?? I was told its a columbian BCI.. though it doesn't look like one.

Hey, it looks like a colombian BCI. It seems to have less speckles that most. Good find.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!