Wild toad harvesting question. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:28 PM   #1
allreptiles1966
Wild toad harvesting question.

So I see a need for toads for hog nose keepers. I live in Ny and have a pond by me that is loaded with breeding toads every spring. I was thinking of catching and selling. But I'm not sure how this will be perceived by others. I would only do if the law allows me. I would only take what the law allows.

This pond has thousands and thousands every spring. What % do you think would be acceptable to harvest without damaging the eccosystem? I'd like to hear from experienced harvesters.

Thank you

Old 03-09-2017, 08:15 PM   #2
Beyond GenetiX
I would check state laws, here in NC if I take more than 5 I have to have a permit. I raise them every year in a controlled environment and it is treated for parasites once a year or more if I suspect trouble. It would be like catching field mice and feeding to your boas, I would definitely be concerned about parasites.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:40 PM   #3
snowgyre
I strongly suspect New York has laws against the commercial harvest of wildlife. If you have questions I would ask your local Department of Environmental Conservation office about the laws.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:14 PM   #4
bcr229
As has been pointed out the problem with wild toads will be parasites.

If my hognose snakes are being picky about eating just I put a drop of frog juice/scent on the feeder and they eat. A bottle will last for years.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:25 PM   #5
Herpin Man
Even if taking the toads is legal:
https://govt.westlaw.com/nycrr/Docum...ta=(sc.Default)
pulling breeding adults from the population will most likely not be perceived by others in a positive light.
It would be far better for the toads if you had a way to harvest eggs or tadpoles, and raise them to feeding size. Perhaps you could design an outdoor enclosure that would allow prey insects in, but keep predators out. This would cause minimal impact to the population, and perhaps even less likelihood of parasites.

Old 12-09-2017, 04:02 PM   #6
snakeboy10
Unfortunately this is illegal in N.Y.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!