Bad Guy William "Billy" Gangemi - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 03-23-2016, 02:04 PM   #1
PotterJ
William "Billy" Gangemi

I recently purchased 2 albino and 4 het albino Chinese Softshells from Billy. Upon arrival I noticed that He had sent me an extra albino and an extra het which I thanked him for. However one het was DOA, I did not make any fuss about it since he sent me 2 free animals. However all of the hets arrived in very poor shape with all of them having white fuzzy fungus on their shells and limbs. When I brought this to his attention he responded with " none of my turtles have fungus". Within 24 hours of having the turtles another het died. I emailed him and his response was that I would receive no refund for free animals, I let him know that I did not want a refund for the extra animals he sent me that died but for the very ill turtles that I paid for. I have had the turtles for 6 days now and a total of four of them have died( one albino and 3 hets), the two remaining hets are not doing well and I suspect that they will not survive much longer. The only turtles that were purchased from him that are doing well are the two remaining albinos. He is now ignoring my emails and requests of a partial refund. From his attitude about the sick animals I'm guessing I won't be seeing any of my money refunded, but I would like others to be aware of this situation to prevent anyone else from getting ripped off with sick animals.

Old 03-23-2016, 04:18 PM   #2
EPICRATES
Keep the turtles very warm, air & water, & put a handful of sphagnum moss in the water. That'll help eradicate the fungus. Good luck.

Old 03-23-2016, 04:56 PM   #3
inca
I have done business with Billy for years. Great animals and service. Not sure what happened with Jay but I have always received good animals. Billy is a good guy.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:38 PM   #4
marke1
I've never dealt with him before ,he was more than fair with me ..... I bought two 20-25 gram turtles at the end of November , I gave him the wrong zip code , they rode around the truck all day with a heat pack on what turned out to be a record setting warmest day ever in November , they were all but cooked ...ended up with respiratory infections , bacterial infections in their shells , and one with a particularly nasty aural abscess .... my vet and I did save them after a couple hundred dollars and 4 months they are doing great at 90 grams .......about a month after that incident he sent me 5 more at a price I can't see how he could have possibly made any money at . I gave him the right zip code , i got perfectly healthy hatchling in December in the northeast , they never missed a beat ....... i believe your experience and understand your frustration , i just felt i owed him me sharing my experience with him ....i actually appreciated it ... hopefully it works out for you .........

Old 03-23-2016, 08:00 PM   #5
PotterJ
I don't think he is a "Bad Guy" but the thread forced me to pick a pre fix for my headline. I do however think he is in the wrong by not giving me a partial refund for turtles that had fungal infections when I received them and because of said fungal infections have died.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:34 PM   #6
PotterJ
Update: One of the two remaining hets died within the last hour. I now have one het left, hopefully this one pulls through.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:43 AM   #7
BeauBoi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotterJ View Post
Update: One of the two remaining hets died within the last hour. I now have one het left, hopefully this one pulls through.
I am sorry you are going through this, but I have to ask: why haven't you sought out medical treatment for these animals...? If I had ordered multiple animals, and one died, I would immediately take the others to the vet.

~Beau

Old 03-24-2016, 09:57 AM   #8
WHYTEARK
The white fuzz is not actually a fungus, its from hard water and is common with these turtles, and is easily cured.. Im pretty sure they died from internal parasites, nematodes and tapeworms among others.. as they are usually
Full of them. these farmed babies need to be treated for this early then kept in super clean water lightly salted, with soft sand substrate..

Old 03-24-2016, 10:05 AM   #9
PotterJ
I have gone to the vet, the problem is a softshell the size of a quarter is hard to treat. You can't dry dock a softie that's the size of a quarter very long, you can't give injectable medicines to something so small, and they are so small you can't get to where their limbs meet the shell very well. Treating the water and softly cleaning the shells were pretty much my only option. With all of that being said I should not have needed to take CB animals that had been in my care for less than a week to the vet for fungal infections.

Old 03-24-2016, 10:09 AM   #10
PotterJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHYTEARK View Post
The white fuzz is not actually a fungus, its from hard water and is common with these turtles, and is easily cured.. Im pretty sure they died from internal parasites, nematodes and tapeworms among others.. as they are usually
Full of them. these farmed babies need to be treated for this early then kept in super clean water lightly salted, with soft sand substrate..

I'm not trying to be rude, but why have the two good albinos I have never shown any trace of the white fuzz when the hets seemed to be covered in it. I'm just curious not trying to start anything.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!