Bad Guy Feenix Reptiles - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 04-09-2017, 01:35 PM   #21
JColt
The risk of getting mites at a show whether from direct animal you purchased or holding onto another animal or just leaning on a table that had them then transferring to another animal is high. That is why you always quarantine and observe. If infested when you bought you should have easily noticed on an albino.

Old 04-09-2017, 03:57 PM   #22
Chris Kennard
This thread is a crapshoot. Nobody will ever know where the mites came from. Are the mites taken care of? If so, move on. Enjoy your new addition. Just sayin'.

Old 04-09-2017, 10:58 PM   #23
tlmoon
Mites can happen...it doesn't seem 100% provable that they came from that seller. I was at that expo and it was very, very crowded with people and it's really hard to be completely sure they came from that seller, if you had the snake out in the open.

You're new to this - so I'm not criticizing you, just pointing out a better way for your next expo. Leave the snake in it's container. I got three snakes at the expo and for example, all of them went into a dark tote bag and did not come out of their deli cups until we got home. Where they are now in QT away from my other snakes because you can pick up mites at a show. Also, it's a very busy, noisy environment and very stressful for a snake to be carried around out in the open.

As Lucille mentioned, it was pretty chilly that weekend and I personally would not have left a snake in the car for a couple hours. I don't think it was cold enough to permanently harm a snake (temps low 50s and raining IIRC) but it can add to the stress level of a snake who is already stressed out. Again, not criticizing you, just pointing out there may be a more optimal way to handle a new snake.

Honestly, I would treat the snake for mites and move on. IF that seller had knowingly sold other mite infested snakes that would be one thing - but I don't see proof of that and you could have picked them up elsewhere.

Old 04-09-2017, 11:26 PM   #24
Big Borg Reptiles
I've vended at multiple shows with Feenix Reptiles (not sharing a booth, but at the same venue). I have never seen any signs of mites on any of their animals. I also purchased a boa from them a couple years ago and she was completely healthy with zero issues whatsoever.

The odds of randomly picking up mites at a show are high, which is why a lot of vendors don't let random people hold their animals. There is absolutely no way you can say they sold you an animal with mites, when all they sell is albinos and you would instantly be able to see mites if they had any.

Next time don't carry your animal around the show. Never a good idea.

Old 04-10-2017, 12:46 AM   #25
BlueCrowned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kennard View Post
This thread is a crapshoot. Nobody will ever know where the mites came from. Are the mites taken care of? If so, move on. Enjoy your new addition. Just sayin'.

Unfortunately no. I am still trying to eradicate them.

As for leaving her in the car, it was actually reasonably warm inside the car and I did have warmers so it wasn't really a big deal. It was not cold in the car at all.

Old 04-10-2017, 03:08 AM   #26
Big Borg Reptiles
You used hand warmers?

Old 04-10-2017, 05:48 PM   #27
Chris Kennard
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCrowned View Post
Unfortunately no. I am still trying to eradicate them.

As for leaving her in the car, it was actually reasonably warm inside the car and I did have warmers so it wasn't really a big deal. It was not cold in the car at all.
Sorry you still have mites. I've never had a major problem getting rid of them. There are plenty of posts here and elsewhere that can help. Good luck.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:34 PM   #28
tlmoon
They were selling heat packs at the show I think, so he might have been using those, not hand warmers. It doesn't sound like a short time in the car would have been too bad, if the car was warmed up.

However, I don't think you can be sure of where the mites came from. Just treat them and move on.

Old 04-10-2017, 11:36 PM   #29
Snake-Queen
The mites could have transferred from you, from handling a snake with mites, to the boa. They could've transferred to the boa from someone else, especially if the venue was crowded and brushing up against someone else was probable.
Not all people who vend care about their animals, so diligence is to be observed. I always treat incoming snakes for mites, whether I see them or not. I always treat snakes who have been to a expo & have returned home for mites.
Keep the snake quarantined & treat bi-weekly.

Old 04-11-2017, 10:27 PM   #30
ElexisC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
Oregon is still pretty cold. To me it isn't a good idea to leave a snake in a car while you go shopping.
no its not a good idea. I recently moved here in December, today was one of the warmest days we've had this spring.

i went and found the weather for that day, I remember it being pretty chilly. either day depending on the time, which it's always very cold till around noon when the sun really hits, the snake shouldn't have been left in the car alone. New or not, it's common sense a reptile shouldn't be in cold temps.

please rethink how you take care of your reptiles. a new addition shouldn't have been paraded around the show and stressed that much more either.
Name:  Screenshot_2017-04-11-22-23-26.png
Views: 256
Size:  89.8 KB

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!