Leachianus parthenogenesis and the egg sweats - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-21-2021, 01:21 AM   #1
Ipiria
Leachianus parthenogenesis and the egg sweats

On Sunday night 12-19-21 I returned home from a weekend trip to find my second egg from clutch of eggs sweating. They were laid back on 07-08-21 from a lone female pure Nuu Ami that I had owned and raised up since she was a hatchling. She had never been in contact with a male. I recently sold her to another member here on the classifieds but before doing so she had laid me three clutches this season. Back on 12-13-21 the first egg of this clutch started sweating and never hatched. I debated on cutting the egg open upon the first signs of sweating because I was not sure it would make it out on its own. I did some web searching on this topic trying to decide if I should, but found little info or contradicting info. By Friday 12-17-21 the first egg lost some size and was starting to mold. When I returned Sunday night 12-19-21 and found the second egg sweating I knew I was going to open her up. Upon cutting a window, I noticed a small squirm and seconds later I had a partho crawl out! The eggs were incubated at room temp. I still have a couple other eggs from this female that were laid later in the season that appear to be good. Going forward I plan on cutting eggs if I don't see any breaching shortly after sweating. I regret not opening the first one. Below are pictures of the hatchling and the female that laid the eggs.
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2021, 10:22 AM   #2
James L
Very interesting! Parthenogenesis seems to be occurring more often in the captive setting, with non partho herps. Hold onto all the young hatched. You may have a genetic line of leach that have parthenogenetic abilities. Those young you hatch could end up being like clones of the mother. With the possibility of producing young with no mate. Very very cool goodluck!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
egg, gecko, leachianus, parthenogenesis, sweat