Inquiry Anyone get bad mice from big cheese rodents? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:59 PM   #1
reptilebaby
Anyone get bad mice from big cheese rodents?

I don't know where this belongs for sure. Sorry if this is the wrong place.

Anyway, I bought a few bags of mice-small pinkies, fuzzies, and some bigger ones about 3 or so weeks ago. Not sure exactly, but I have had frozen mice from other companies that weren't bad and never rotted, and did not go bad in around a month. In fact, I had mice that lasted well over a year when I bought enough for the entire year (Those were from RodentPro)
My freezer keeps things frozen very well, but when I went to thaw out several of the bigger mice They all appeared to have black skin and some of them were slimy and the skin was beginning to sepaprate. That would be considered rotting, right? One of my corns went off feed at about the time of this shipment and I am wondering if I just need to trash the whole order and call the company. Expecting the mice to last longer than this isn't unreasonable is it?

Old 10-19-2011, 01:21 PM   #2
TriangleReptiles
When did this occur? I was planning on going to Big Cheese on Friday to pick up a few packages of mice.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:25 PM   #3
reptilebaby
I bought them about 3 or 4 weeks ago.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:27 PM   #4
reptilebaby
I just placed an order with RodentPro to replace the ones from Big Cheese. I threw out all of them

Old 10-19-2011, 01:28 PM   #5
reptilebaby
So is expecting frozen mice to last longer than that unreasonable? I didn't think so, and I like to buy in bulk so I don't run out.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:33 PM   #6
TriangleReptiles
I would definitely call BIg Cheese and let them know. My guess is they will offer compensation of some sort. My experiences have always been good with them.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:35 PM   #7
TriangleReptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptilebaby View Post
So is expecting frozen mice to last longer than that unreasonable? I didn't think so, and I like to buy in bulk so I don't run out.

No...not at all unreasonable. I keep rodents frozen for 6-9 months without a problem. It sounds like you got some that maybe thawed and were refrozen after being at room temp far too long.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:41 PM   #8
reptilebaby
K. Will call and then I'll let everyone know how it goes!

Old 10-19-2011, 01:46 PM   #9
reptilebaby
Just got off the phone with them and they're sending out a new shipment today.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:46 PM   #10
DISCERN
I have ordered from Big Cheese since the company started, and have never had any sort of experience with their mice like you have described. Their feeders are of the highest quality.

How come you simply did not not call Big Cheese to report this to them? Why make a post on the BOI first?
Taking pics of your rodents, emailing the pics to them, and following up with a phone call would have been a course of action that may have had them help rectify the situation.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!