More Comments about UPS - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 07-31-2004, 01:02 PM   #11
KelliH
Quote:
The package was routed through KY!!! How do you plan for this? I didn't check the temps in KY to see what they would be.
I guess I only worry about my temps and the destination temps because I am shipping Next Day Air, with delivery by 10:30AM. If the package is routed through any place it is in the middle of the night, which in MOST cases means temps are not going to be a problem.

Old 08-01-2004, 01:22 AM   #12
Milwaukee Reptiles
I actually just went through this with a customer. I did not feel I should ship on thursday, even though she started working different hours on monday (Morning shift instead of her usual late afternoon-night). She had me ship the leo to her work, and brought a heat pack with her so she could keep it warm. I know MANY businesses would not like to have stuff like this shipped to them, but it did work out better than a weekend delivery (I think I even saved a dollar by not shipping to a residentail address... lol).

My only complaint is that I can't find good rate information easily because the more you ship the cheaper each one is... so I really have no idea how much it costs until I get my bill). I know I can look it up in the rate book but it's kind of a pain in the...

I worry about temps here, how it will travel (if it's by truck for short distances the sun will warm that up quite a bit, the airplane ride [35000 feet is mighty cold]. I also take into effect my temps, arrival temps, and if it's sunny out there or here (just in case if might sit in the sun). Then again... I may jsut worry too much (All of my leos have been received in good condition... only a few so far but hopefully more =).

And I too plan on KY being used as a major hub (except when I shipped to IL from WI)

Old 09-15-2004, 01:16 PM   #13
jmkhet
im kinda nervous i have a 100% het for albino columbian boa female being shipped out tonight (wed.) for overnight delivery guarenteed to be at my door by 10:30am.The snake is being shipped from Florida to Michigan man i hope my baby gets here safe all the horror stories about shipping kinda shook me up a bit.The seller is using UPS so i guess well see what happens...

Old 09-15-2004, 01:55 PM   #14
dwedeking
Josh,

It's ok to relax. Most (99%) of the shipments go off without a hitch, you just don't hear about it. Out of the 1%, 99% of those turn out ok because the person shipping knew what they were doing.

Not making light of the anxiety you feel, but didn't want you to feel overwhelmed by all the bad press that you see.

Old 09-19-2004, 10:31 AM   #15
shrap
I worked for UPS for 5 years.

I started as a part-time employee working in the main Indianapolis hub. After a year I was offered a supervisor position. Held that position for 4 years.

Man could I tell some horror stories, but I won't. I can tell you that the Indy hub had a 99% goal on getting Next Day Air packages out of the buiding. There was hell to pay if that goal was not met. And that facility has over a half million packages go through there in a 6 hour period. That is unloaded/scanned, sorted to proper destination and then reloaded and scanned for departure. Pretty impressive actually.

UPS truly makes every effort to get Next Day Air shipments through their system on time. But the actual process in the major hubs is chaos at best. You folks would have to see it for yourself to even begin to believe it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!