Lazy UPS delivery... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 04-07-2005, 03:47 PM   #1
hill4803
Lazy UPS delivery...

I have been waiting on my frozen feeders (about $250) form Rodent pro which was delivered today. I watch from my 3rd floor balcony as the UPS truck enters and passes by my building. A few minutes later the truck heads straight for the leasing office, and not 1 but 2 UPS knuckleheads wheel 2 packages into the leasing office. No knock at my door, no notice that an attempt to deliver was made, nothing! So I put my shoes on and went to get my 47 lb box of dead (and frozen solid) feeders and haul them up to my 3rd floor apartment. I called UPS and the lady was VERY apologetic and someone from the area is supposed to call me back. Luckily the ladies in the leasing office "understand" and don't get freaked out when a box labeled "frozen meat" with logo of a rat on it shows up. When I move into my house in May, I am going to set up a "special" box for deliveries.
To answer the question: "What can brown do for you?"....how about getting off your lazy butt and deliver my packages!

Old 04-08-2005, 10:56 AM   #2
CJBianco
I've had this same thing happen a few times with both UPS and FedEx. The last time was from FedEx and it was a live animal. It seems that if the carrier has several deliveries at the same apartment complex, they'd rather scribble a few "We Came By/Pick Up at Office" notes and quietly leave than carry a few bozes.

Personally, I don't mind walking up to the office for a package. What really upsets me is that any live arrival guarantee is now VOID because of the carrier's laziness. That's several hundred dollars down the drain if something happens to the animal.

Fortunately, I'll be FedEx Certified in a few weeks, so this will not happen with any of my shipments. It states clearly on the box that this is a LIVE HARMLESS REPTILE (species and quantity) that must be delivered in person.

Better luck...

Chris

Old 04-09-2005, 10:08 PM   #3
Khaman
If you believe that being FedEx Certified guarantees that your package will be treated any differently than other packages you are mistaken. One of my drivers refuses to deliver any of my packages even if they are non reptile. They call me to come pick them up at hub so now I just request all of my Fed Ex get held there so I know where they are and don't have to worry that at 4pm they are going to say come pick this up.

Old 04-10-2005, 04:27 PM   #4
CJBianco
I must respectfully disagree. I believe handlers would be a bit more careful with packages labeled "LIVE SNAKE" than with purposely mislabeled (disguised) packages labeled "FRAGILE/THIS END UP".

Chris

Old 04-10-2005, 05:53 PM   #5
Khaman
The people at the hubs could care less, even if the bother to read what is on the box. As far as they are concerned if it is broken whoops it is insured except we who are reptile shippers are not insured even if our guaranteed by 10:30 the next morning arrives two days late and dead Fed Ex is not responsible.

I have heard stories from people that work in Memphis at the Fed Ex overnight hub and the UPS hub in Louisville about package football and kick the box. The machines are gentler with our boxes than the humans are. This is why I pack mine like fine china.

As for the drivers some are great my old one would keep my snakes in the front with him when he picked them up from me so they would stay cool. But just because it says live animal is not going to make a lazy driver any more likely to go out of his way to help you.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!