Reticulated Python won't eat!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-22-2014, 04:31 PM   #1
Roni2521
Exclamation Reticulated Python won't eat!!!

I bought a female Platinum reticulated python in December 2013. She was a little smaller than we wanted her, so we fed her regularly, about once a week and she quickly grew to a healthy size and proportion. However, for the past month or two, she has been uninterested in food (rats). We tried feeding her a chick and she ate it, but then later regurgitated the legs and now she has a bulge farther down in her stomach, which I think is constipation. I have the temperature and humidity set correctly and I gave her a 15-20 min bath to help and feces to move down and out of the stomach. She had not taken a dump a couple days after the bath, so I tried to feed her another chick, hoping it would both help to flush out anything that was stuck and to try and get her to eat, but she had no interest in it. At this point, I don't know what to do and I can't really afford a vet, though I will go if I have no other option. Has anyone else experienced this or seen or heard about this anywhere else and have suggestions as to what I can do? I need to breed her in a couple years and I want her to be as healthy as possible while still at an adequate size.
The first picture is from when she was eating, and the last two are from the day I posted this.
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2014, 05:06 PM   #2
stealthy
Go to reptile insider forum, they will have answers. This is for selling,
Good luck hope it eats for you

Old 04-22-2014, 05:19 PM   #3
AbsoluteApril
Jerry, we would appreciate if you wouldn't automatically refer people elsewhere as we have plenty of great herpers on this site that might be able to offer good advise.

I am moving this to the discussion forums.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:52 PM   #4
j_dunlavy
sometimes snakes go off their feed when they think they should be breeding, for example, I have several ball pythons that are just below the minimum size at which they can be bred that have been off their feed for the past month or so. As long as the snakes do not lose too much weight I generally do not worry too much about them turning down food.
The lump could be a larger cause for concern. It could be an impaction if the snake ingested some litter while eating the chick (I noticed the litter seems like large shavings, sani-chips may be a better option as they are smaller).
Only a vet would be able to confirm an impaction. I would make an appointment.

Now I am not trying to be mean or anything, but you should probably not breed snakes if you cannot afford a vet visit. A big problem in this hobby is people getting animals they cannot afford to properly care for. I understand you want to breed this snake but you do not need to breed her. Your first priority should always be the well being of the snakes and breeding should be something that comes second. You should also be prepared ($$$) to take care of all the babies if you find you are unable to sell them.
If the snake's health is prioritized then breeding should be no problem when the time comes. Don't get impatient, she will be ready to breed when she is ready.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:53 PM   #5
stealthy
Sorry,
My bad.
Won't happen again. Just knew it didn't belong on the classifieds and no one else chimed in , so I thought I could help. My apologies

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!