Lots of guests today... - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 01-20-2020, 04:39 PM   #11
IslandLizards
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
BTW, I did look into the WHM option to deny IP addresses based on country codes, and I noticed this warning:

Based on the huge number of IP addresses likely involved, this does not appear to be a feasible plan to implement, unfortunately. Unless I am being overly cautious, of course.
As long as you have the dedicated resources available (Non VPS) it shouldn't be an issue. One of my sites where there is on average 500 active users at any one time did not have any resource utilization change when blocking just CN (approx 6000 CIDRs).

I think the specs of that guy is running a single Xenon E3-1220 and 8GB RAM with WHM/Cpanel hosting VBulletin 4.0.

Old 01-20-2020, 07:24 PM   #12
WebSlave
Hmm, well perhaps I can give it a whirl, but start with a smaller target, like Ukraine, of Pakistan and just see how the server stats look afterwards.

Thanks for the advice on this. It is appreciated.

Old 01-20-2020, 08:00 PM   #13
IslandLizards
Quote:
Hmm, well perhaps I can give it a whirl, but start with a smaller target, like Ukraine, of Pakistan and just see how the server stats look afterwards.

Thanks for the advice on this. It is appreciated.
Anytime.

If you want to see how many CIDRs there are for a country I like to use https://www.countryipblocks.net/acl.php

Old 01-21-2020, 01:27 AM   #14
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandLizards View Post
As long as you have the dedicated resources available (Non VPS) it shouldn't be an issue. One of my sites where there is on average 500 active users at any one time did not have any resource utilization change when blocking just CN (approx 6000 CIDRs).

I think the specs of that guy is running a single Xenon E3-1220 and 8GB RAM with WHM/Cpanel hosting VBulletin 4.0.
OK, I'm giving this a try right now. Limiting the country block to only Iran at the moment to see what effect, if any, this has on server loading. I did see a jump from 0.10 to 0.42 right after I implemented this, but that is manageable.

If this goes OK, I will add Pakistan and Ukraine to the list. I do have some legitimate users from China, so I am reluctant to block all of China unless I get more provocation to do so.

But I am getting a dozen or two spammers I block manually every day. Haven't been checking the IP addresses, however, as I just delete them as that is the quickest method of dealing with them. I used to ban them, but that proved to be an exercise in futility.

Thanks.

Old 01-21-2020, 01:02 PM   #15
IslandLizards
The jump was probably csf just writing the ACLs. It should have dropped fairly quick after that.

Old 01-21-2020, 01:49 PM   #16
WebSlave
Yeah, seems to be the case. I booted a couple more spammers with IPs from Russia, so I added "RU" to the table. I know I have some legitimate users from Russia, but screw it. They can always move or use a VPN if they have a pressing need to access this site.

And what the heck, I just went ahead and plugged in Pakistan (PK) and Ukraine (UA) too while I was in there.

So I'll just monitor the IPs of new spammers and see if that is working or not.

This could be a pretty handy tip you relayed to me if it solves a lot of these spammer problems.

Old 01-21-2020, 06:20 PM   #17
JColt
Been awhile since I was in the website business but Honeypot project has gotten good reviews.

https://www.siteground.com/kb/block_...ect_honey_pot/

Old 01-21-2020, 06:21 PM   #18
JColt
It is free btw

Old 01-21-2020, 07:51 PM   #19
WebSlave
Quote:
Yeah, seems to be the case. I booted a couple more spammers with IPs from Russia, so I added "RU" to the table. I know I have some legitimate users from Russia, but screw it. They can always move or use a VPN if they have a pressing need to access this site.

And what the heck, I just went ahead and plugged in Pakistan (PK) and Ukraine (UA) too while I was in there.

So I'll just monitor the IPs of new spammers and see if that is working or not.

This could be a pretty handy tip you relayed to me if it solves a lot of these spammer problems.
Well, this doesn't appear to be working very well. Just got a spammer with a Ukrainian IP address. 159.224.255.154

Maybe I didn't set something up correctly?

Old 01-21-2020, 07:58 PM   #20
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by JColt View Post
Been awhile since I was in the website business but Honeypot project has gotten good reviews.

https://www.siteground.com/kb/block_...ect_honey_pot/
Thanks Joe. I'll take a look at it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!