Air freight shipping - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:17 PM   #1
edhastereptiles
Air freight shipping

I've always used overnight shipping to get animals to me but I was thinking of going with air freight my problem is how does it work?If anyone could explain this in detail I would love to know what I need to do.thanks

Old 02-28-2013, 05:03 PM   #2
robyn@Pro Exotics
Air freight is booked through an airline carrier, like Delta, and both you and the recipient must go to the airport air freight terminal to book and receive the package.

It is typically more expensive, unless you have larger packages, or a palleted shipment.

And beware the okey doke of "declared value". It is NOT insurance, and they do not pay on DOA's.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:45 PM   #3
edhastereptiles
I didn't think you had to do anything before hand to pick it up?What happens at the cargo facility when I walk in the door?I would only be picking up an order from a wholesaler/importer I am not going to be shipping that way.What does FOB from Miami mean?Is that another way of saying COD from Miami airport to mine?

Old 02-28-2013, 08:56 PM   #4
AbsoluteApril
you don't need to do anything if you are picking up the shipment, some carriers require applications and prior approval before allowing you to ship out but receiving is no different than getting a UPS or FedEx.

FOB means freight on board - it is where the freight charges will originate from, so yes, it means COD, you have to pay for the cost of the freight from the location to you.

edit oh and yes, shipping via the airlines is typically more expensive. I've shipped via NWAirCargo before and received from 2 other airlines.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
edhastereptiles
So is there an estimate you can do on shipping?I would think that say your order has a lot of animals and would take 3 or 4 boxes that are about 24 x 24 x 12.I know it matters which airports are used but that would be costly just to use an overnight service.Does anyone have an example of a shipment they could share.If so how many boxes did you pick up,what size were they,where did it travel to and from,how much was it?Sorry for all the? I'm just trying to get informed the right way.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:12 PM   #6
edhastereptiles
So anyone have a guess or estimate for shipping cost?

Old 03-17-2013, 07:22 PM   #7
Ameivaboy
For the main domestic airline I use I can ship up to 100lbsfor $56 flat (box size doesnt matter - but it does matter if the airwaybill is for NFG (next flight going) rush or standard. NFG can be twice as expensive or more depending on airline. However we are a long time frequent air freight shipper so other peoples rates are likely (much?) higher.

If you're using something like delta - it's ridiculously expensive.

As for multiple boxes, if they are small enough - just tape them all together (one big bulky box is a lot more difficult to lose than 3-4 smaller boxes)

Though I once had a waterland tub I air freighted back from a reptile show get "lost" as it didnt exactly look like cargo to the workers

Old 03-17-2013, 07:32 PM   #8
edhastereptiles
If I used it.It would be shipped to me from either a wholesaler or importer.I have no idea of the box size or what airline they would use.That's why I was asking what others have paid and for what size and how many boxes.Is there a way to guess?Would two large boxes from Miami to Indianapolis be maybe $350 or $1000?

Old 03-18-2013, 12:00 PM   #9
AbsoluteApril
can you find out which carrier? they should be able to give you a freight estimate.
I didn't want to give pricing since I last shipped out via an airline about 10 years ago but at that time, it was a large boa and baby corns, so a decent weight/box size and over $100 but less than $150. That was through NW Air Cargo. About 4 years ago I received a shipment, I think it was air alaska? one young snake in a average sized 12x9x5ish box and that was $100 (I prepaid freight to the seller).

Not sure if that helps at all. The shipper and/or airline should be able to tell you how much it will be before it ships.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:03 PM   #10
edhastereptiles
Thanks it does help.Anyone else a more recent cost and box size?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!