Bull Localities - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-15-2006, 03:06 PM   #1
Otter_23
Bull Localities

Thought I would keep trying to get this area moving. I have heard of some of the localities but can someone with much more experience give us some of the characteristics of specific localities. I have seen advertising for locale hypos, reds, bigger size and blacker tails. Anyone else.
Mark

Old 01-23-2006, 01:48 PM   #2
Chris Kennard
[Thought I would keep trying to get this area moving. I have heard of some of the localities but can someone with much more experience give us some of the characteristics of specific localities. I have seen advertising for locale hypos, reds, bigger size and blacker tails. Anyone else.]

The "locale" hypos are reportedly from Stillwater, Oklahoma. One line, and seemingly the most popular, of red bulls is Ginter's stock originating out of Kingsville, Texas. The supposed "bigger" bulls are from highway ?227?. Blacker tails??? I don't know. You can find oddballs in any locality that will possess traits that are not the "norm" for a specific locale. I have a pair of Minnesota bulls purchased from John Meltzer that are, for the most part, dark. Out of seven hatchlings this year from the female Minnesota, one came out looking hypo-ish, or at least very light for a Minn. bull. It could pass for what the stereotypical Texas bull should look like. There is a very attractive axanthic line of bulls that originated in Miami county, Kansas. Another "dark" phase bull, and also very attractive, is the Kankakee, Illinois line.

Old 01-26-2006, 03:11 AM   #3
sppeavy
Hey guys, no much talking about bulls on here. Im in Kansas, and have seen some real nice bullsnakes. Im sorry I dont have any pictures, but when I found these snakes I had no clue of the potential Hypos and breeding possibilities. While hicking out by Wilson lake, I did find a stripped bullsnake about 6 foot and healthy as can be. I left him there, because he was in a real bad mood and I didnt have anything to get him with, or put it in. I also was visiting some family in Southwest Kansas and my younger brother had what looked like a solid dark brown pine snake, then he told me he had found the snake in the yard. The snake had no yellow or orange color that is typical of the bulls here. Also had no pattern. Im not sure how these snakes got to where they were or if they were a breeding experiment that didnt work, then the offspring had eggs in the wild and it did work? I wish I had some pictures for you guys. Kansas is a strange place. The mixes around here are insane. Desert Kings and Speckled Kings mix here, making the Chain Kings. The Central Plains Milk and the Red Milk mix and make a strange milk( I have never found a mixed milk, but friends have). One friend found a solid copper Copperhead. I found a Ornate Box turle that was mixed with a Three toed Box turtle just last spring. It was a Three toed with white markings of a Ornate. As for bulls, most around here have a light yellow color and a distinked blotched pattern with dark rings around the tail area. As spring nears, I will try to get some photos of these snakes. I think my brother still has the solid hybrid bull.

Old 01-28-2006, 01:54 AM   #4
Otter_23
I have heard of the darker axanthic line. Anyone have a picture of them? Would also love to see a picture of a striped bull.

Old 01-28-2006, 02:05 AM   #5
Chris Kennard
If you type "the pituophis page" into your search engine, you can view many different types of bullsnake including the axanthics.

Old 02-07-2006, 01:18 PM   #6
John Cherry
Any time you make generality in comments on locale specific bulls it is really a crap shoot. Take for instance the quote "277 Moster Bulls", while it is ideed true that there have been some really large bulls from that area caught over the years. They on average are no larger than a good sized South Texas bull. It is a marketing ploy in many instances. But with that said realize there are a couple of captive lines that are consistently longer than the average bull. Also take the Red Bulls that are advertized on a regular basis, while some individuals do display extreme red color even when breeding a red to a red from the same approx. locale you get normal colored animals sometimes. It is happening in about 15 - 18% of our breeders. One of the other posters metioned the Kansas bulls and described them as wierd things happening there. I have to agree with him, in our collection probally one of the most interesting locale specific aniamls we are working with are the black and white diamond back patterned bulls from the Miami county area. Even when you get a normal colored animals from that line the pattern is still very much like an Eastern Diamond Back rattler's. Cool animals to say the least. If you would like a pic of one of them email me and I will be gald to send it. I would really be interested in seeing the solid colored bull he mentioned also.

John Cherry
Cherryville Farms

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!