New At Field Collecting - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 07-31-2003, 09:05 PM   #1
FireRescue
New At Field Collecting

Hi,
My name is Stephen Cabrera. I am 16 years old and live in Ocala Florida. I've gone hiking alot looking for snakes, but have never found anything. I hear that if you drive slow on back roads at night you can usualy find some. Around what time is the best time to do this? And would it be best after a rain or hot days? If some one could tell me the basics and some tips on how to wild collect I would greatly appreciate it. Also if there is anyone near Ocala who wants a partner to go collecting. I would like to go with some one with expierence somtime. Thanks for reading.
Your fellow snake lover,
Stephen Cabrera
cabrerastephen@hotmail.com

Old 08-04-2003, 10:46 AM   #2
MJS77
I still have found no secrets to field collecting. Everywhere that I have lived or otherwise gone herping, the methods have been different, and often it is for the same specie.
In New Mexico, night or day was good for rattlers, collared lizards and bull snakes in the day, and so on. In Texas it all depended on where you went and how lucky you were. There was no surefire way in Texas, at least not where I went. Now I am in Missouri and I see stuff everywhere. In the last 3 weeks I have seen all kinds of turtles, land and water day and night. Water snakes in the day, Timber rattler at night, Ringneck snakes day and night..... so on and so on.

I guess it depends mostly on where you are and what you are looking for, but I have yet to find a perfect routine after several years.

Old 08-06-2003, 12:54 PM   #3
FireRescue
Ive been keeping snakes since I was eight. And have looked under things and in the woods the entire time. Only once have I ever found somthing when I was looking. I found a ringneck when I rolled a log onetime. Im not saying I never see snakes in the wild. I do every now and then, but never when I am looking for them. It is always when im just walking somewhere and hey theres a snake. But when I am actually out looking for them I have only found one. My best (stumble upon) was on september 1st 2002. I was walking home from a friends house when I saw a snake in the grass by the road. It was a 4ft corn snake. I think its called a sunglow? amythelistic or somthing like that. I have no idea how its spelt. It has never tried to strike and has been the tamest snake ever since I first picked it up that day. Its color and temper makes me wonder if someone let it go in the wild.
Stephen Cabrera

Attached Images

Old 08-06-2003, 01:52 PM   #4
MJS77
I would say many of my best finds are definitely when I am not looking, and especially when I have no camera, no hooks, bags, or other tools.

Old 08-09-2003, 07:07 PM   #5
Copperheadman
WOW!!!

Thats a beauty of a corn..For sure the best finds are when you're not looking.Last year I saw the biggest southern copperhead I have ever seen on the road,and I didn't have any tools with me.earlier this year we were fighting a large brushfire,I stumbled on a number of herps,including a 3 foot timber.

Old 08-09-2003, 10:21 PM   #6
FireRescue
Ya I was pretty excited when I saw him. Before him I had 2 normal corns, 3 ball pythons, and 1 african rock python. I lost them all when my house burnt down in 2001. When I found this one while I was walking it was a pretty nice surprise.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!