Best Snake to start with? - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-30-2007, 05:07 PM   #21
texasnewbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighanne
I don't know Texas. Are you a big Snake or a little Snake kind of person.
How old is your Son and what do you feel comfortable with him having? I guess thats the real question. BOTH are an awesome joy to have though!
Thanks for the post Leighanne, hearing your personal experience helps.

My son is 12 and very grown up and sensible so with supervision (and me playing the main role of carer) I believe he/we could look after either. I think he would prefer the wide range of colors the cornsnakes come in.

Looking at various sites and all the information I've been reading today I think both have a lot too offer. I think having on of each would be perfect and I could go from there

Old 01-30-2007, 05:39 PM   #22
Leighanne
LOL Snakes in general are very addicting! From one average Joe Herper to another though there is something we haven't talked about. You also need to research the heat. VERY important. There are uth's and heat tape and lights, all are pretty cheap. Then you will need a Thermostat to control the heat source and a Thermometer to read temps. Three things that are most important. The Thermometers are as cheap as $13.00 I spent on mine, but temp guns are pretty awesome. Thermostats can run anywhere from $30.00 to $200.00 or more. The $200.00 ones are really more for Breeders or people with racks full of Critters or just someone with a large collection. I just don't want for anybody to have a stressfull experience like I did. I didn't join the forum first though, honestly I didn't even know forums existed on the internet. I only ever used my computer for mail and google. I just happened to go backwards about having my Snakes, but you gave yourself a good head start being here. lol If you have any questions about anything we will all gladly help. P.S. Those Snow Corns are awfully pretty!

Old 01-30-2007, 07:15 PM   #23
texasnewbie
Quote:
P.S. Those Snow Corns are awfully pretty!
Theres some Tangerine ones (I think thats what they are called) and they are an amazing colour, very bright.

I know I've been reading up on the temperatures etc, there is a whole lot to learn. Definitely worth it in the end though, I'm sure. And reading about people keeping them in sweater boxes etc, I was naive enough to think that they needed a 'proper' set up, in tanks and enclosures etc. Seeing some of the racks and containers that are more than suitable has surprised me.

Mentioned it casually to my husband again today (he hates pets, especially ones he doesn't think have any 'use' unlike dogs etc ) and I think I'm slowly winning him around

Old 02-01-2007, 07:35 AM   #24
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
TripleMoons I've refrained from ever saying this because you are the Corn Snake Queen so Please don't be mad at me but in my opinion Lickity is more of a joy to hold. Jakers is now that hes getting big, but even Lickity as a baby there was just more there to hold.
O I am far from the Cornsnake Queen! How about Cornsnake Princess?

No offense taken at all on your opinion. I would actually agree. Hatchling cornsnakes are squirmy little buggers and I would not recommend handling them excessively when they're babies. Most will calm down once they reach a year or so, but that's not always the case. Few reptiles are "placid" and enjoy being cuddled.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!