Glass vs PVC boa enclosure - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 05-08-2016, 08:55 AM   #1
Goldie
Question Glass vs PVC boa enclosure

Looking for advice on which would be better for my Hogg Island boa. She is full grown at this point, but I am wondering how big of an enclosure does she really need and which type of material is better. The glass that I am looking at is an Exo-terra, and I am also considering an Animal Plastics. The glass is less expensive and I don't have to build it.

Any advice is helpful.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:56 AM   #2
bcr229
PVC all the way. Glass doesn't hold heat well which will be an issue in the winter unless you keep your house fairly warm. The AP cage is more expensive to buy but a lot cheaper and easier to maintain, and your boa could live for many years so it will pay for itself.

Old 05-08-2016, 02:49 PM   #3
AbsoluteApril
Either will work but I'd go for PVC if you can. As Melinda said, it will hold heat and humidity better. Also with screen top glass enclosures there's always the risk of nose rub injuries. It's not always the case but I'd say 25% of boas I've kept in glass ended up with nose rub issues due to the screen tops. I keep all my boas in PVC caging now.

Old 05-09-2016, 01:28 AM   #4
Randall Turner
I recommend pvc enclosures as well. I will say that exo terras work well if set up properly. I am using 3 currently for boas, I wrapped them in reflectix insulation to help maintain temps, had glass cut to fit the top and attached radiant heat panels inside (drilled through the glass top). With this set up they work excellently.
Attached Images

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!