What the heck happened to this guy? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-11-2005, 03:17 AM   #1
PaulSage
Question What the heck happened to this guy?

I just found this hatchling tonight. He has much more body mass than any of his siblings (that have hatched so far) and he's all lumpy and contorted. If I try straightening him out at all, he starts flipping around like an earthworm that's been cut in half. The other babies that have come out so far seem healthy, but I'm at a loss for what this is. I'm half wondering if he ate a sibling, because of his size and lumpiness (if that's a word).

Has anyone had a corn come out like this before?
What do you think I should do?
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2005, 04:27 AM   #2
Chris Steele
Does kind of look like it has ate a sibling, but I have no clue. Best of luck with it.

Old 08-11-2005, 04:29 AM   #3
Jim O
I'd fully expect to see a regurgitated snake in the next 24-48 hours.

Old 08-11-2005, 01:07 PM   #4
PaulSage
As of 1/2 hour ago he's still alive, and apparently capable of moving around the tank just fine on his own. He's nowhere near as jumpy and flippy as he was last night. I'm thinking that IF he did indeed eat a sibling, that it was still alive and thrashing around, thus causing the peculiar motions last night.

Both of the parents were candycanes from Roylance, and I guess are het for motley, as one of the babies is a candycane motley (which I REALLY like). Allz I know, is that if he ate his sibling, it had better NOT have been a motley! lol PIG. I won't be able to tell until the last few hatch, b'cuz then I'll be able to count eggs vs. babies.

If he dies before regurgitating, I'm not going to be able to resist "finding out" what the heck happened. Whether it's a deformity or cannibalism, it's my first instance of either.

Old 08-11-2005, 01:31 PM   #5
DAND
My guess would be deformity. If it ate a sibling I doubt it would be able to be as twisted up as it is. With cannibalism of like sized snakes the one that has done the eating will look like it has a spring inside. If by the odd chance it did eat a smaller sibling it should be bloating up today as the eaten one starts to be digested.

Old 08-11-2005, 01:57 PM   #6
PaulSage
Just for the heck of it (and because I borrowed my brother's kick-butt camera) here's a picture of one of the candycane motley siblings.

(I know the pic isn't THAT good, but with MY camera, you'd be lucky if you can see the deli cup.) lol
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2005, 01:59 PM   #7
DAND
Nice! Congrats!

Old 08-12-2005, 02:06 PM   #8
PaulSage
Well, he didn't eat a sibling, as I have accounted for all of them.

So I guess this means he's a deformity, and should probably be popped in the freezer. Do you think it's inhumane for me to keep him alive at least long enough to see if he can eat? I want to at least give him a chance, but I'm afraid his prospects are none too good.

Whadaya think?

Old 08-12-2005, 03:19 PM   #9
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSage
Well, he didn't eat a sibling, as I have accounted for all of them.

So I guess this means he's a deformity, and should probably be popped in the freezer. Do you think it's inhumane for me to keep him alive at least long enough to see if he can eat? I want to at least give him a chance, but I'm afraid his prospects are none too good.

Whadaya think?
Feeding it would be futile and a waste of a pinky. I'd freeze it. Got any king snakes?

Old 08-12-2005, 10:03 PM   #10
Jan Orcutt
Poor little guy. Some just aren't meant to be.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!