What the heck happened to this guy? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-17-2005, 03:25 PM   #11
Willis Wildlife Enterprises
Sorry about that little hatchling. I would have really liked to have seen it healthy and grow up...beautiful color and pattern! Maybe another, similar-looking, but healthy, baby will hatch out next year.

Old 08-17-2005, 10:15 PM   #12
Dennis Hultman
Sorry Paul, it is awful but it happens.

Old 08-19-2005, 11:14 PM   #13
MastersHaven
Im sorry about this little one... to me this looks clearly like a case of deformity but Im also wondering if it may have been some type of siamese-twin... or some type of duplicated organs or something to that effect to cause the body to be that much larger than the rest... it does almost look like it is two snakes in one -- just minus the extra head and tail...

The last post on this was on the 17th... today is now the 19th and I am assuming you have had to take things into your own hands as far as this little fellas best interest...

you seem to be the analitical type -- If you do indeed decide to take a peek inside this little one, might you give us an update of your findings?

again, I really am sorry for this little guy...

Old 08-20-2005, 09:22 PM   #14
Scales N Things
Aww.. that's just too bad, the pattern on him was amazing... I grimly await my first kined hatchling.. a sad part of breeding...

Laine

Old 08-23-2005, 01:06 PM   #15
PaulSage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastersHaven
Im sorry about this little one... to me this looks clearly like a case of deformity but Im also wondering if it may have been some type of siamese-twin... or some type of duplicated organs or something to that effect to cause the body to be that much larger than the rest... it does almost look like it is two snakes in one -- just minus the extra head and tail...

The last post on this was on the 17th... today is now the 19th and I am assuming you have had to take things into your own hands as far as this little fellas best interest...

you seem to be the analitical type -- If you do indeed decide to take a peek inside this little one, might you give us an update of your findings?

again, I really am sorry for this little guy...
Oops, sorry I forgot to reply this! It's been one of those weeks (months, actually).

Anyway, I did euthanize this animal but I didn't do too much as far as trying to figure out what exactly was wrong with him. Since he was so light colored, it was pretty easy to see through him in bright light. Basically his spine was all deformed and crooked. One part looked like it actually was broken and didn't connect. I have CLOSELY examined the other babies from the clutch, and I can't find a single kink anywhere, so I'm assuming it was totally random and not necessarily something that would be passed on through the bloodlines.

Here's a question for anyone of y'all though: When selling the siblings to this baby, do you think I should disclose the fact that one from the clutch was deformed? I think I should at least mention it to anyone who's looking for a baby for future breeding...

Old 09-16-2005, 07:34 PM   #16
coyote
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSage
Oops, sorry I forgot to reply this! It's been one of those weeks (months, actually).

Anyway, I did euthanize this animal but I didn't do too much as far as trying to figure out what exactly was wrong with him. Since he was so light colored, it was pretty easy to see through him in bright light. Basically his spine was all deformed and crooked. One part looked like it actually was broken and didn't connect. I have CLOSELY examined the other babies from the clutch, and I can't find a single kink anywhere, so I'm assuming it was totally random and not necessarily something that would be passed on through the bloodlines.

Here's a question for anyone of y'all though: When selling the siblings to this baby, do you think I should disclose the fact that one from the clutch was deformed? I think I should at least mention it to anyone who's looking for a baby for future breeding...
Ooh. Excellent question. I'd like to hear the advice on this myself.

Old 09-16-2005, 08:03 PM   #17
South Dixie Dragons
So Sorry ABout Your Baby!

Honesty is the best policy...

If it is genetic and you sell one of the babies as a breeder, then that person breeds it and ends up with some "swizzle sticks"..you could potentially end up with your name being slammed on the BOI..
Personally I would not take the risk...it is not worth it...just disclose this info to the buyer(s) or sell them only as "pets"
I would think this to be a fluke thing...
Just my opinion...hope this helps

Old 10-09-2005, 04:10 AM   #18
candycorn
hatchling

i would say it got overheated in incubation and or had fungus attack it the patterns sometimes look different when they get attacked but I dont think that would count for its diformitys

Old 10-09-2005, 04:17 AM   #19
PaulSage
Quote:
Originally Posted by candycorn
i would say it got overheated in incubation and or had fungus attack it the patterns sometimes look different when they get attacked but I dont think that would count for its diformitys
Steve, I had pretty much ruled out both of those possibilities. There were over 100 other eggs in that incubator at the time, and none of the other snakes hatched out like this. I've heard of fungus affecting pattern before, but there wasn't a problem with fungus on the eggs and most of the babies from that clutch have peculiar patterns (so does the mom.) I'm assuming it's just a random freak of nature.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!