green redtail ratsnakes - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-10-2006, 11:28 PM   #11
coyote
Great information Chris.
I'm finding the cage measurements confusing. Please clarify for me what your dimensions refer to, Height, depth, width. Thanks.

Old 04-10-2006, 11:45 PM   #12
Chris_Harper2
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote
Great information Chris.
I'm finding the cage measurements confusing. Please clarify for me what your dimensions refer to, Height, depth, width. Thanks.
Sorry, they are length x width x height, although length and width are somewhat arbitrary when talking about snake cages. Regardless, the last measurement is always the height, the first two are just the floor area.

So my quarantine cages are 32" front-to-back, 17" wide (side-to-side), and 12" tall.

That small cage I bred my original pair in was 18" long, 16" wide, and 36" tall.

I think the ideal Gonyosoma cage would have a lot of "length" from front to back. Again, so the snake can retreat away from the keeper. The cage could and probably should be relatively narrow to provide a sense of security. I think a lot of height is nice to allow them to stretch out and provide a vertical thermal gradiant.

So I'd rather provide a cage that is 16" x 32" x 36" rather than a cage that is 24" x 24" x 36", even though both would have the same perimeter and similar floor area.

Old 04-21-2006, 09:53 AM   #13
norsmis
Hey Greg how are the green redtails doing?

Old 04-21-2006, 12:39 PM   #14
greg4000
great

they are doing great so far. i have set a 4x2x2 cage with live plants perches and small logs. the cage is big but its a crowded atmosphere with lots of hiding places. they are eating ratpups and im starting to see them cruise around a little more. hopefully ive created their eden and they will produce for me this coming season. ive got another identical cage that im in the process of setting up for my blue beautie hets. they should throw some albinos for me this year as well. i hope to be busy this upcoming season.
thanks for asking though.
greg

Old 04-21-2006, 01:33 PM   #15
norsmis
Hey Gregg if you get a chance or can, post a few pics of the setup. I am curious to see what you going.....

Old 04-21-2006, 02:01 PM   #16
greg4000
here you go

my camera isnt great, but heres a couple pics.
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2006, 02:17 AM   #17
bleeding_sarcasm
thanks for the great info chris, i dont get emailed replys, so i havent checked this in a while, its always nice to hear from breeders of these guys. we currently dont have any adults, and are looking to get some more when we have the time & space to devote to Q some wild caught animals. ive been oogling over jansenii for a while and have been trying to convince my boyfriend to buy them for me, but same thing, not enough time or space

Old 05-09-2006, 10:22 AM   #18
Chris_Harper2
Tamara,

Well the next time you log in over here send me an email. Just take my fauna user-name and add it to "at yahoo dot com". From reading through this and other posts I think I may have exchanged emails with your boyfriend sometime ago. Maybe it was you.

Regardless, a friend and I are putting together a website on Gonyosoma and are starting to compile information from keepers and successful breeders. I'd like to have your contact information on file if you don't mind.

That applies to anyone else who might read this thread.

Regarding the Janseni, I don't like them quite as much as G. oxycephala. I prefer the all-black Seleyar Janseni slightly to the black-tailed or Celebes Janseni.

The friend of mine who I'm putting the website together with has successfully bred the Celebes Janseni. We believe it's the first true captive breeding in the US. Unfortunately he only has one baby and a second clutch is not incubating well.

The Celebes Janseni make the G. oxycephala look like cornsnakes when it comes to ease of care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleeding_sarcasm
thanks for the great info chris, i dont get emailed replys, so i havent checked this in a while, its always nice to hear from breeders of these guys. we currently dont have any adults, and are looking to get some more when we have the time & space to devote to Q some wild caught animals. ive been oogling over jansenii for a while and have been trying to convince my boyfriend to buy them for me, but same thing, not enough time or space

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!