Enough is enough with the classifieds (*or* Why you cannot reply to classified ads) - Page 20 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:41 PM   #191
timebider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Davenport View Post
This idea wouldn't just be more work, it would be altogether impossible to implement even with a staff of several dozen moderators. The site gets several hundred new ads posted per day. Imagine having to open every one of those ads and then check the OP's post history for the previous 90 days and trying to see if that specific animal had been posted in that time. Then do that every single day.
I'm sure once you think about actually doing it you can see what an insurmountable undertaking that would be.
Ugh. I always give technology more credit than it generally deserves, and I thought there might be some automated way to handle this much more easily.

It's so irritating to have to constantly thwart troublemongers!

Old 06-19-2011, 07:13 PM   #192
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by timebider View Post
I conduct my business in such a manner that I don't have to worry about negative comments.
Ah, but that does not take into consideration an infestation of trolls who would do such a thing merely to cause trouble. It would be very naive to believe that such doesn't take place here.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:29 PM   #193
Helenthereef
I haven't waded through all 190+ posts so please feel free to ignore me if this idea has been suggested already (or if it is technically impossible), but could you lock the pages after the initial advertisement and yet allow people to post links, and ONLY links, to other threads concerning the advertiser in case of concerns?

It does seem to me that this is a transfer of hostility now that the BOI is more civilised... Trolls gonna troll, and they may just transfer their attentions to other forums.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:50 PM   #194
hhmoore
Locking the ad is an option for all users....but locking the ad locks the ad. The only way to control the type of post made is to have the moderators making them (this was actually brought up in the discussions before the change was made). The problem with that is that if we were going to do that, we would have to do so indiscriminately...without regard for our own feelings on matter, or the particular link provided. Speaking for myself - I am not willing to post negative links on people I have been interacting with for years, or total strangers, just because somebody wants it posted. It goes against every grain of common sense, moral judgement, and business acumen.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:50 PM   #195
timebider
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Ah, but that does not take into consideration an infestation of trolls who would do such a thing merely to cause trouble. It would be very naive to believe that such doesn't take place here.
Oh, believe me, I know it does...rampantly. The difference, for me, is that anyone wishing to target me in such a manner would not be able to prove any accusations they might choose to level. Those kinds of BOI threads inevitably lead to the troll being definitively shown to be the bad guy. I also refuse to engage with trolls in any way that would give them satisfaction and/or make me look unprofessional.

(While we're discussing pipe dreams...it would be awesome if, in those kinds of BOI situations, a mod could change the red "bad guy" label to an "info" emblem - which would eliminate sellers' complaints about potential customers seeing that bad guy label and not bothering to read further, without changing the integrity of the thread itself at all. But I do understand the rationale behind NOT altering or deleting BOI threads at all, not least of which is the problem of placing mods in the position of judge and jury.

I'll quit now.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:26 AM   #196
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by timebider View Post
Oh, believe me, I know it does...rampantly. The difference, for me, is that anyone wishing to target me in such a manner would not be able to prove any accusations they might choose to level. Those kinds of BOI threads inevitably lead to the troll being definitively shown to be the bad guy. I also refuse to engage with trolls in any way that would give them satisfaction and/or make me look unprofessional.

(While we're discussing pipe dreams...it would be awesome if, in those kinds of BOI situations, a mod could change the red "bad guy" label to an "info" emblem - which would eliminate sellers' complaints about potential customers seeing that bad guy label and not bothering to read further, without changing the integrity of the thread itself at all. But I do understand the rationale behind NOT altering or deleting BOI threads at all, not least of which is the problem of placing mods in the position of judge and jury.

I'll quit now.
The issue here was that the trolling was taking place in the classifieds sections of this site, making it an uncomfortable environment for people simply trying to engage in business. That is what I am trying to stamp out by this change in policy.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:56 PM   #197
reticguy76
wow, this was quite the thread !!!

Old 06-20-2011, 02:01 PM   #198
reticguy76
oopps, hit the post button too soon

there is no pure, best way to run a forum, let alone specific sections such as the classified and/or the boi.

i personally like to see responses in classifieds, it gives me a good sense of what the animal and seller is all about.

ive purchased animals and passed on animals many times based on response posts to ads, i have sold/trades animals to/with people based on the same. i think you really learn about people based on responses from people (whether they are "called out" on their ads or just obtaining more specific information).

Old 06-21-2011, 09:34 PM   #199
joshjtd
I do apologize if this has already been mentioned but I would like to propose that you require a membership fee to the site. Whether or not you are a buyer or a seller, this site is a great resource. It doesn't have to be a huge fee, but something like $10-$20 annually. Maybe having a bit of personal coin to lose will deter some folks from not following the rules.

It would also cut down on the folks creating new accounts to bump their threads. Maybe not the perfect solution but just my two cents.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:00 PM   #200
hhmoore
Josh - while making the whole site "(paid) members only" hasn't been tried, it was done in both the BOI and in the classifieds. Both efforts proved detrimental to the site, particularly the classifieds; so I doubt Rich would be going down that road again (unless/until he simply doesn't care about the well being of the site...ie, when it comes to the point where it HAS to generate significant revenue or cease to exist)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!