Enough is enough with the classifieds (*or* Why you cannot reply to classified ads) - Page 21 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:14 PM   #201
joshjtd
Good point Harald. I never took in to account the number of folks that would more than likely bail if they had to pay to be here. I just am really not understanding how people do not see that the rules really are not that difficult to follow?

This is a large community with many breeders all of varying quality. Why can't folks not see that if you make the image of being a rude, difficult, or mean individual on this site, that it is the perception the rest of the community will have of you. I personally try to avoid buying from the folks that are not positive and constructive members here.

While the internet is a place of anonymity (less so on Fauna), the reputation you build here is forever lasting, good or bad.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:21 PM   #202
FosterHerpetological
I dont know if this has been said but is there any way to judge whether a person to post on an ad by the prefix?

This is what im trying to say, Im not a paying cont.(right now) so I know that I cannot post on "For Sale" ads. But there have been a couple times over the past few days on "Wanted" ads that I was going to post info to help the person find what they were looking for, but I couldnt.

Any way to change, or modify that? Or is the tech not up to date, or just another reason all together....

Old 06-22-2011, 12:47 AM   #203
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
Josh - while making the whole site "(paid) members only" hasn't been tried, it was done in both the BOI and in the classifieds. Both efforts proved detrimental to the site, particularly the classifieds; so I doubt Rich would be going down that road again (unless/until he simply doesn't care about the well being of the site...ie, when it comes to the point where it HAS to generate significant revenue or cease to exist)
I don't see that happening, simply because it would be like cutting off your head to try to stop the brain cancer from killing you.

It would be like running a retail store, finding out that you were going out of business because sales were too low, and coming up with the plan to charge admission at the door to try to generate revenue. Obviously it is far too late at that point, and such a decision would simply accelerate the closing of the doors.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:51 AM   #204
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfconstrictors View Post
I dont know if this has been said but is there any way to judge whether a person to post on an ad by the prefix?

This is what im trying to say, Im not a paying cont.(right now) so I know that I cannot post on "For Sale" ads. But there have been a couple times over the past few days on "Wanted" ads that I was going to post info to help the person find what they were looking for, but I couldnt.

Any way to change, or modify that? Or is the tech not up to date, or just another reason all together....
The only way that would be feasible is by having separate sections for FOR SALE, and WANTEDS threads. I've tried that before, I believe it was when this site was originally HerpWantAds, and it just did not work too well. Too many people wound up posting their ad in BOTH sections, I guess believing that people wanting something in particular by posting in the WANTEDS section would be just as likely to have an interest in what they were offering as the people checking the FOR SALE section. So there were a LOT of duplicate ads being placed.

Still, there is no reason why people wanting to respond to a WANTED ad can't do so via private message and/or email.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:08 AM   #205
R. Eventide
Sorry for my tardiness; I rarely venture out of the few fora I frequent.

Anyway, here are my thoughts.

1. I have no problem with the change whatsoever. Being able to reply to classifieds at all has always been a privilege and not a right. As someone else mentioned, what do y'all do when you encounter an ad on KS and you can't post a reply?

2. Frankly, I'm sick and tired of people being babied. This is one of the reasons our society is so wrapped up in bureaucratic nonsense: no one takes responsibility for their actions, and so we end up with ridiculous laws and warnings in order to protect the idiots.

Don't know the seller? Do research on them (and not just the BOI).

Have a question? Contact them using the contact info they put in the ad or send them a PM.

See an ad that says "ball python" and shows a pic of a retic? If a person is wanting to buy a ball python and doesn't know what one looks like, it's their own fault if they end up with a retic instead.

What about sellers who get asked the same questions over and over in PMs, when in the previous system, one person could ask in a reply and everyone could read the response? (1) Most people don't even read the ad itself, let alone replies (see someone else's comment about being asked about trades/shipping when the ad specifically mentions no trades or local pick-ups only). (2) If you're a seller and are being asked the same question over and over, then perhaps that's a hint you should put said info in your ad! (I think Harald mentioned doing this.)

What about fishy-sounding ads or the like? Again, if you can't be bothered to either think critically about what a person is saying in their ad and/or do some research on them, then it's your own fault. I mean, how many times do people buy from sellers with obvious Bad Guy threads/ratings and then proceed to come on the BOI, whining about how they were taken? I'm sorry, but you either refused to take the time to look the person up or you were willing to take a chance despite said warnings. Either way, the outcome is entirely your responsibility and no one else's.

Most of the other arguments I've seen fall into one of these categories (mostly the "use common sense and do your research, for heaven's sake" one).

3. These are free classifieds. Free. Think about how that directly benefits you, whether you can reply to ads or not.

---

My guess is that very soon, you'll have to nix replies altogether. And, frankly, I think that's a better course than only allowing paid members to reply. Just put everyone on the same level and leave it at that.

Old 06-25-2011, 04:53 PM   #206
whatnowcustoms
I wish I had some constructive critisism to offer but seriously not being able to post a reply to any classified ad is the dumbest thing i've ever heard of. people should be able to discuss stuff in the open with the breeder or seller cause multiple people might have the same question about the ad or the animal. when you are able to post an ad and have to do everything else in private it makes the site look like its dealing with shady people selling stuff on here. thats just my 2 cents even though it won't count for anything.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:14 PM   #207
Bsixxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnowcustoms View Post
I wish I had some constructive critisism to offer but seriously not being able to post a reply to any classified ad is the dumbest thing i've ever heard of. people should be able to discuss stuff in the open with the breeder or seller cause multiple people might have the same question about the ad or the animal. when you are able to post an ad and have to do everything else in private it makes the site look like its dealing with shady people selling stuff on here. thats just my 2 cents even though it won't count for anything.
+2
The rules laid down on this website about posting and identity are a real issue. Just because a person abbreviates his/her location they get an infraction. i see that as being a bit over the top, if the interested party would like to know where they live, they should post it. but only through private messaging or email etc, not openly all the time for every tom, dick and harry to see. And as for not being able to post in classfeilds over the rediculous infractions make snot only the potential buyer suffer but also the seller.
Might want to think about giving a little more le-way on here. As that might help out a bit with activity and other functions...

Old 06-27-2011, 07:26 PM   #208
Utta
frankly, if you dont like it Ben, dont use it. use the same door you used to enter, to leave. its not hard.

and they've tried the "le-way" youre talking about. it obviously didnt work to well, otherwise this wouldnt have had to happen.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:38 PM   #209
WebSlave
I stated my warning several times that if the crap did not cease within the classifieds, then this was exactly what I was going to do. Although I did relent and leave the paying contributor members the ability to reply, it appears that they are much more controlled concerning what they post in the classifieds, perhaps now aware that this can be taken away from them as well if the problems still continue there.

I am sorry that some don't like it, but that's just the way it is.

As for the issue of stating your location, I believe there is a thread also in this Feedback Forum that addresses the "why" of that rule as well. Quite honestly, of someone wants to be anonymous, then this is not the place for them. And to be perfectly blunt, the internet isn't the place for them neither...

Old 06-27-2011, 08:03 PM   #210
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
As for the issue of stating your location, I believe there is a thread also in this Feedback Forum that addresses the "why" of that rule as well.
Here is the link to one of the discussions about the full location rule:
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=197754

(I'm not particularly a fan of that either, but rules are rules and those are the rules of this site)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!