ADULT FEMALE FIREBELLY HI FIRE HI CONTRAST AVAILABLE NOW 250.00 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Classifieds > Lizards For Sale/Wanteds > Tegus

Notices

Old 06-09-2019, 10:33 AM   #1
tegusonly
ADULT FEMALE FIREBELLY HI FIRE HI CONTRAST AVAILABLE NOW 250.00

If you are planning to breed, these are great prices on outstanding adults, or
Just keep as a pet dinosaur roaming your house.

Guaranteed Healthy and Happy upon arrival.
Twenty four hour shipping to your door is depends on you location.
This one is approximately 70.00

Every Tegu in my inventory undergoes preventative parasite
applications: Fenbendazole (Panacur), Metrondizole (Flagyl).

Terrific Tegus – No Bull.

Your purchase rescues Florida tegus from a major euthanasia and eradication plan currently in progress by the State. In addition, the native species will thank you for your help in removing these nonnatives from their habitat. You will receive a healthy Grade A tegu from a gene pool of over thirty thousand animals mating in the wild.

If you love tegus and would like to assist the balance of nature in a way that protects the very special ecosystem that is the Everglades, this is a purchase you can feel good about.

MORE THAN JUST BREEDING

CONTACT ME AT: IRWINISLAND@GMAIL.COM OR 305 772 8140

RODNEY IRWIN

Professional Opinion on Fire belly’s
The following is based off of current scientific data from peer reviewed papers and the combined professional opinion of several experts in the field, including Florida FWS officers, University of Florida researchers and professors, several well-known hobbyists and tegu breeders of Florida, and Rachel Pikstein (Biologist with an M.S. degree in ecology, 25 years of reptile experience and husbandry, 10 years working with and owning tegus, and currently finishing a 3-year genetic ecological assessment comparing wild import to invasive to captive bred tegus with a sample size over 600).
The experts here and available literature to date support that the red coloration coined ‘fire belly’ by Rodney Irwin is greatly believed to be a genetic trait, and not from environmental factors (or limited on the extent of influence from them) for the following reasons:
1) The thick hide of a tegu has not been documented to absorb pigments from soil or leaf liter
2) Lizards with thick hides such as teiids and varanids are not known to be able to influence their body coloration by diet; few have chromatophores, but genus Tupinambis does not have any color change ability that is documented in literature or by hobbyists.
What is documented; juvenile characteristics do fade away (green head/blue tail) as seen in many teiids and skinks, and their natural colors brighten and or darken during sexual maturity.
3) Firebellys appear in <30% of the Homestead invasive Florida population at a wide range of ages and sizes, however, they have also been seen in captive bred collections with a lesser intensity of color. <5% of animals showed red coloration recorded across 4 breeding facilities; documented by Pikstein.
4) Red and blue coloration marking ‘blue tegus’ and ‘firebelly’ tegus are not unique species, but an example of genetic variation in one species (to date), due to coloration appearing in many populations of captive bred and invasive, and that some animals even display both colorations
5) Blue and red coloration has been documented by Rachel Pikstein, 4 breeders, and many hobbyists to fade in captivity and or winter (hibernation at breeding facilities) when intense natural sunlight is removed, color fades and returns, but does not disappear.
Although diet and other environmental factors can influence the appearance of a variety of squamates, this is undocumented in genus Tupinambis. From combined observations of over 3,000 tegus from the above mentioned experts, what is known is that:
Tegus develop red and or blue coloration during sexual maturity, and this is seen in tegus from a variety of habitats (natural and captive), experiencing a variety of water sources, eating a variety of diets, and receiving a ranging amount of natural light and or UVB bulb exposure. Coloration has been seen to be passed on through populations, intensifies with natural sunlight, and is seen with animals across many examples of varying environmental factors.
The high percentage of firebellys in the South Florida invasive population is mostly likely a genetic bottleneck from the genetic pool of the original animals that were released, because this invasive population is restricted to a 6 mile radius and undergoing constant removal and management (by UofF, FWC, and Alligator Associates) it restricts their breeding potential. The genetic variation will have a higher percentage of these red coloration traits due to the population being cut off from other breeding populations of tegus, who could have more prominent black or white traits. Compare this to how Eastern European humans have a higher frequency of blue eyes historically than other regions of the world.
It is also important to understand terms like ‘blue tegu’ (Ron St. Pierre),’Chacoan tegu’ (Bobby Hill), ‘Bruiser’ and ‘Purple’ tegus (Rian Gitman of Underground Reptiles) have all come about by the same means as Rodneys Irwins labelling of ‘firebelly’. Hobbyists/breeders identify a unique trait and confirm it to be inheritable through husbandry practices, and then coin the term to produce sales of a unique morph within a species. For all these reasons, it is believed that the ‘firebelly’ look is most likely the result of genetic inheritance with little or no environmental influence to the creation of the colors, only their varying intensity.
Attached Images

Contact User Check User
Old 10-22-2019, 12:23 AM   #2
B.C.
Hello sir, Brian in Las Vegas here. Is this BEAUTY still available ?
Thank You

Old 10-22-2019, 07:28 AM   #3
tegusonly
Hi Brian,

That ad was posted in June so I am not sure. I do have others like her.

If you are ready to purchase, I will send pictures of the one I will ship. I can’t take pictures and hold them for more than a day or so. ( bad for the tegu )

Send me an email with name, address, zip and PHONE, and I will send you a paypal money request. When paid, I ship as soon as possible. I guarantee your tegu will be healthy and happy when it arrives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en_GpGmHTEQ

http ://youtu.be/an1R_wsDp4w
https://youtu.be/LWvgAyYRz-0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JlJg4Ev-B4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pyRq-HivPY
https://youtu.be/lBBnjjDw4fE

Please contact me at irwinisland@gmail.com only

Rodney Irwin
  Contact User Check User

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!