Leapin' Leachie Housing - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-17-2014, 01:46 PM   #1
BrooklynJoe
Leapin' Leachie Housing

Hey Fauna Family,

I have been watching the leachie market, and leachies in general for the past 4 years. I finally decided to step in and plan to make a visit to Steve's. So with all that said.

From novice to professional breeder, hobbyist, or owners of leachies. I would like to know how is everyone housing their Leachies

Please indicate the following:
Material type
Brand/maker
Humidity stability
Temp Control
Measurements

Here is an example:
Glass
Exo Terra
50%
82 low watt heat tape/thermostat
24 x 18 x 24

Old 05-17-2014, 02:58 PM   #2
dinodaddy
Go to leapin leachies website, check out care sheets & articles under the information heading, then read "Housing Hatchling Leachies". If you're going to Steve's, you'll be able to get all of his methods at a glance. Take a notebook with & take notes. I keep all my animals similar to him, but have developed my own methods since I'm not nearly as large (nor would I ever want to be) as his operation. The nice thing about keeping a smaller collection, is that you can really take immaculate care of each animal/enclosure. So you'll find folks who keep their leachies in gigantic naturalistic enclosures with all the bells & whistles. Or you can keep them more simply so that all their needs are properly met & cleaning is inexpensive & fast. There the breeder ways, & there's the keeper's ways. & of course mixes of both methods. If I had the time I'd post my methods, I did post yet on Repashy forums years ago, might still be able to find it via search. Sorry I dont have the time to more properly answer your question. & good luck! Just make sure you bring at least a couple thousand bucks, even if you're just buying babies

Old 05-25-2014, 05:12 PM   #3
Hecatomb
I have a pair of Mt. Khogis leachies, had the female for 5 years and the male for 4. They're both in standard 29- gallon aquaria with screen lids. I'm working on putting a divider in a 75 gallon so I can house them together. I've got garden-store peat moss in the bottoms of the cages, and both have a nice big piece of cork bark along with other branches. I don't pay special attention to humidity aside from a good daily misting. I'm more worried about too much rather than too little humidity. I also don't put heating elements on the tanks, my room temperature ranges from 72 in the winter to 84 in the summer. Never had a single health problem from either of them, including shedding.

They really seem to not USE most of their cages, they hang out under the cork bark 90% of the time, and only go to the other end of the cage to poop all over the glass. Might want to keep that particular behavior in mind when cage-shopping.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:44 PM   #4
dinodaddy
Leachies are very much creatures of habit. If you keep everything in their cage oriented in the same way, they will have a "circular" behavior pattern. As in, sleep in their cork hollow all day, as night falls, they'll peak out of their hide in search of food & water. Then make their path around the cage, sometimes hanging out in the lay box/humidity shelter. Before returning to their cork tube to go back to sleep. I keep their food & water dishes in the same place & orientation always...if you reverse their food & water dishes, when they go to eat, they will drink water for a minute or so before they realize it's water & not their food. They'll get confused if you switch things around. Although, this can be useful for introducing a male to a female. Make sure they're both well fed before attempting intros, & then make sure you rearrange their cork tubes, decorations, etc, before you put them both together. I also use a chlorhexidine solution to scrub each cork clean, then rinse thoroughly with water. This mostly de-scents the cork, so the geckos are less territorial, & more curious.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
leachianus, leachie