Bull snake eggs - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:20 AM   #1
damein1234
Bull snake eggs

I have posted this on other sites, but I wanted to share to get different opinions.

A few years back I had rescued a bull snake from some people who should never have owned an animal. He came to me in ROUGH condition. He was so thin that I wasn't sure he would make it, not to mention just about blind because he had been unable to shed for months.

fast forwarding now. I've had him about 2 years and he has been an absolute joy. ALWAYS eating when offered, friendly as heck, very curious about everything, and just all around beautiful. He is my first snake and my favorite!

So a few months ago, I had quite a shock. He went from engulfing his food to straight up ignoring it. VERY uncharacteristic. I was worried as heck but I knew I would just have to wait it out. one day I went to check him, as I do every day and I opened his hide to find quite a surprise.
He was actually a she. She had laid 8 eggs, all duds of course. she has never been around a male in my care. But still shocking! I had NO idea snakes laid dud eggs like that.
Attached Images

Old 05-11-2015, 10:22 AM   #2
damein1234
Bull snake eggs

Fast forward to a year later. Just a little while ago, I went into his cage to fill his dish. When I opened his hide box, I was given yet another surprise.
He had done it again! (I know he is actually a 'she' but it's hard for me to call him a her lol)

I was a bad snake mommy this time though, and hadn't checked on him in a while. The eggs were dented in and molded over. I had done the math and it turned out he had probably laid on the exact same day as last year.

Now, here is a strange question for you.
I didn't get a better pic of them and I highly regret that, but 3 of the 9 eggs he laid looked... fertile?
They were huge, would have been bright white. You can see the tops of them in the bottom left corner of his box.

They were a completely different size and shape from the other 6 slugs, as well as they were separated and kept in their own spot, as though Aydin thought they were fertile as well.
I have had this snake in my care for years now, and have never put it with another. Is it possible to have gotten fertile eggs??

Old 05-11-2015, 10:23 AM   #3
damein1234

here is the picture of the 2nd clutch

Old 05-11-2015, 02:49 PM   #4
sschind
If the snake was a WC adult or had been with a male prior to your getting it I suppose it could be possible that it retained sperm. I've heard of it happening with other snakes. Those eggs sure do look like they were fertile at one time.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:25 PM   #5
chrisis697
It is possible for snakes to retain sperm. Those 3 definitely looked good tho compared to the slugs. Keep an eye on him(her haha) next yr.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:31 PM   #6
damein1234
I'd say he has been in my care for almost 3 1/2 years now, only laying eggs the last 2. I knew other animals could hold sperm, I had no idea a snake could for so long! Very interesting for sure.
But with the idea of it holding sperm, would that be possible even if he laid a clutch previously? The sperm wouldn't have fertilized the first clutch?

Old 05-11-2015, 06:02 PM   #7
hhmoore
I'll agree that they look like they were viable eggs.
It is possible to get full sized, good looking eggs that aren't fertile - they candle yellow, with no veins - those typically discolor (and mold) by the time they'd collapse like that.
You could always set them up and see if they progress

Old 05-27-2015, 01:12 AM   #8
Helenthereef
Have a look at this old thread - a rattlesnake gave birth to viable eggs 6 years after her last exposure to a male...

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=265030

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!