Solution feedback request - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 05-24-2015, 12:05 AM   #1
Bartley Reptiles
Solution feedback request

If this needs to be in another forum, please let me know or move. I wasn't sure where it belonged. This could end up becoming a BOI topic/issue. At the moment, I would like to solicit feedback as to my handling of an issue with a customer. There is not bad guy here (in my opinion anyway, he like myself is in good standing on this site) so I will like to not name the customer unless they decide more discussion is needed. In short, I received a message this evening from a customer that purchased a trio of adult pieds from me, receiving them 39 days ago. The day they arrived he let me know that they arrived ok, I thanked him, and had not heard from him until this evening. He has informed me that two of them are showing an RI. As I have always wanted to be fair with all customers (even more than I should if you read previous threads involving me) as well as not allow myself to take a loss that isn't warranted, I am posting my response below. Please let me know if this is appropriate.

CUSTOMER,
I hate to hear that you are having any complications at all with the pieds. The three pieds have been in my care since the day they hatched (as I produced them) without any issues nor are any snakes in my collection showing any sign of an RI. Under the “terms of sale” page on our website (www.bartleyreptiles.com) we state that all animals have a 48 hour health guarantee. Now, if any issue were to be reported to us within a week or so, we would certainly be glad to work something out with our customer as this would be enough time for an issue to show if the animal already had it. We are currently 39 days from the day the snakes arrived to you. At this point, working something out financially will not be an option as it is more likely that the RI was contracted while in your care. I recall you mentioning that you had been burned by ball python breeders recently sending you sick snakes. In no way am I attempting to do that, I only bring it up as I wonder if the infections from these previous snakes have made it to these three.

I do not mention the previous sick snakes, or what I will now go into to point a finger at you or to pass blame, but would like to attempt to help you with not only getting these snakes back to health, but possibly figuring out what caused the RI in them and hopefully prevent it from happening in the future. I’m going to put some questions out there and do not mean to insult your intelligence or experience level as I do not know how much experience with ball pythons that you have. Being that you are seeing this in two of the snakes makes me think there may be a husbandry piece that needs to be adjusted.

You mentioned that you have had these three in quarantine, are they being quarantined in cages that were previously used by another snake? If so, what cleaning/disinfectant was used?

The temperature requirements for a ball python will be a hot end roughly 89-92 (closer to the 92 is better in my experience) and a cooler end roughly 78-80 degrees. Both temps are very important as the animal needs to be able to thermal regulate. In short, while the hot spot is certainly needed, if the entire cage is one temperature it is unhealthy for the animal. Have these temps been checked for accuracy? Meaning, have the temperatures in the cages been checked (not the temperatures on the thermostat)?

What substrate are they on? Are they too dry or too moist?

If they RI is advancing rapidly, I would first and foremost recommend taking them to the vet. If you feel that it isn’t to that degree yet, here are some at home remedies. Clear any mucus from the nostrils and any buildup in the mouth. Put them on paper towels for the moment as this will prevent them from getting too dry. Place a wet rag in the cage (on something to avoid contact with the paper towels) to boost the humidity. You can lightly mist the cage, just do not saturate the paper towels. Raise their temps as well. This is usually enough to overcome minor RIs. This website http://bamboozoo.weebly.com/snake--r...ry-remedy.html goes into a deeper dive with a home remedy if you would like to try it as well.

Again, I am sorry to hear that you are having any issues at all with these animals but I am happy to give advice in any way that I can to get them back up to health.

Thanks,
Clint Bartley

Old 05-24-2015, 02:07 PM   #2
CwnAnnwn
Could you copy and paste the first message you got about the illness?

Would like to hear their side with your response.

Please block out id's.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:35 PM   #3
Bartley Reptiles
Message was sent via facebook. I have copied the text and am pasting below:

Hello I received a trio of pieds about a month ago.
I have had them in Corentine and have come up with an issue on two of them they are both infected with respiratory infection their mouths are full of mucus. I am not sure what you would like to do to try and work this out thx

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!