Info Terrapene Carolina (sasquatchhunting101@gmail.com) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 09-30-2018, 03:12 PM   #1
backafter30
Terrapene Carolina (sasquatchhunting101@gmail.com)

That Ad You Maybe Shouldn’t Respond To:

This concerns a transaction that I thought might be worth sharing, if only for the learning aspect of it. Of course, I also welcome your opinions, and will consider them part of that learning experience as well.

Recently I saw an ad on Kingsnake.com offering a “CBB 2016 Female Eastern Rat Snake”, further described as “super black”, which happened to be something I was looking for. The attached photo confirmed the coloration, and shipping was included in the asking price. I was interested, considering the sex and age, but there were a couple of flags that I should have paid more attention to. First, the seller offered free shipping 2nd day, with a live arrival guarantee, not overnight. Second, the seller mentioned that they would not answer “dozens of questions as all nessasary info is mentioned rite here in the add”. I contacted them anyway to ask about that 2nd day shipping, and was told that they always “ship 2day for everything as next day is totally unnecessary and overrated and expensive to I've never had a doa as it's all in the packing in which I have much experinace with, check my profile I have 2 recent reviews for sales both shipped 2day”. I took the chance and purchased the animal anyway.

The snake was as pictured in the ad, and did arrive safe and healthy on the second day, however, there were three things that bothered me anyway:

First was the packaging, or rather lack thereof. The box was thin and slightly crushed. There was no insulation at all. The snake was bagged (with some moss, which was nice), but all that was in the interior was a thin sheet of packing foam paper, top and bottom, and a single layer of hard crunchy things pretending to be “peanuts” in the bottom. There was lots of air space around the bag, allowing for a lot of banging around in transit. The box was well sealed, with no ventilation for air, and had no markings whatsoever suggesting its contents. None of the standard labeling was used.

Second, the snake had a large scar about ¼ the way back on its right side. The scar was old and healed, not life threatening, but not the sort of injury one usually sees in captive bred animals. It was something you might expect in a wild-caught animal, and was never mentioned by the seller, or captured in the ad photo.

Third, the animal had the perfect appearance of a male, not female. The ad did state that the sex was not 100% guaranteed, but did appear very female. I’ve sold a snake that turned out to be the opposite gender that I thought it was. This happens. Many sellers do not guarantee sex. I was ok with “appears female”. Some snakes are difficult to sex. This one was very male, like not-really-a-question male.

I contacted the seller about the packaging, saying that despite the lack of insulation, the animal had arrived safely as promised. I mentioned the scar, asked how it got there, and asked for confirmation that it was indeed CBB. I also mentioned the rather prominent male tail thickness and asked their reasoning in considering it a female. The seller copied the ad back to me with only one comment: “Here is a copy and paste of the add nothing more needs to be said as I see you didnt bother to even read it all you did was look at the price and photos and then email me!!!!!”

I have tried to contact the seller a few more times, but they refuse to answer me. On top of this, I do not even know who the seller is! The ad was posted by a two-initial username (AM or AJ, or something like that). I thought I had a name in the email, but that turned out to be the scientific name of another reptile. They have never used their name in any correspondence, and it isn’t even on the shipping label.

I don’t know whether to be angry with the seller, angry with myself, or both. Do I seek some form of satisfaction, or just chalk it up to experience? I don’t even have a name to complain about! I still have the option to take this up with Paypal. What would you do?
Attached Images

Old 09-30-2018, 03:28 PM   #2
Big Time Reptiles
How did you send payment, and to whom, and where?

What if any name was used, email address, telephone #, post all you have, and I guarantee you'll get answers here.

KS will have his/her info, all advertisers on KS have to pay, and are approved in advance of them advertising. Now that doesn't mean they'll give you that info, but it's worth a try, if you want to pursue this matter..

JMHO

Lynn Peterson
Big Time Reptiles

Old 09-30-2018, 03:34 PM   #3
backafter30
All I have is Caroline Terrapine (which is a box turtle)
3300 Rte 9 S, Rio Grande NJ 08210, sasquatchhunting101@gmail.com

I have contacted Reptiles2You about their shipping practices.

Old 09-30-2018, 03:40 PM   #4
backafter30
Their paypal account is listed as "Miscellaneous", and the email there is darkempiregames2016@gmail.com

Old 09-30-2018, 03:59 PM   #5
Big Time Reptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by backafter30 View Post
All I have is Caroline Terrapine (which is a box turtle)
3300 Rte 9 S, Rio Grande NJ 08210, sasquatchhunting101@gmail.com

I have contacted Reptiles2You about their shipping practices.

No results found with that email.

The address is a Walgreen's.

I'm pretty sure you've been had...

Next purchase do your due diligence, no name, no number, can't talk too, you get my drift....

Better luck next time...

Lynn Peterson
Big Time Reptiles

Old 09-30-2018, 04:12 PM   #6
backafter30
Thanks Lynn! That's what I figured. I've contacted Paypal, but not sure where that'll get me.

Old 09-30-2018, 04:19 PM   #7
Big Time Reptiles
Quote:
Thanks Lynn! That's what I figured. I've contacted Paypal, but not sure where that'll get me.

James,
Post what you find out from PayPal...

Do you have a phone # on this character?

What was his handle on KS?

Lynn Peterson
Big Time Reptiles

Old 09-30-2018, 08:30 PM   #8
Lucille
Quote:
I don’t even have a name to complain about! I still have the option to take this up with Paypal. What would you do?
I would initiate a 'not as described' PayPal case now, escalate it as soon as you can (which may be immediately), and then call PayPal and let them know that you do not have the seller's name and that he/she did not do right by you and can they please furnish the name.

Old 10-02-2018, 11:13 PM   #9
tlmoon
Sorry to hear about your experience. Sounds decidedly subpar to say the least so I can see why you are concerned.

Sometimes we get so excited about a particular snake that we ignore red flags. You wouldn't be the first, for sure.

Old 10-07-2018, 11:45 PM   #10
kingranchu
I was trying to purchase a juvenile African bullfrog from this particular seller. I requested more photos of said frog in the sales ad.. He the insist that he would send additional pics only after he receives payment. WTF?? Lol.. Are you kidding me?? Red flags all over the place.. I then get an email the next morning asking for payment. This guy is a joke.. I politely respond by telling him I was no longer interested due to the fact that he couldn't supply me with two additional pics I've requested... He then goes off by telling me that serious buyers would never ask questions, or request additional pics. They simply just pay... And if that wasn't enough, he then goes off by calling me a window shopper. So yeah... That was that. I never responded. Beware of seller Caroline terrapine aka Darkempiregames. I've got way too much experience buying animals online to not notice the red flags.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!