Crotalus thermal detection range? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-26-2008, 11:06 PM   #1
John E Dove
Crotalus thermal detection range?

I am considering picking up a baby Crotalus viridis but first I am purchasing hemostats that will allow me to feed it without putting my hand the danger zone for heat detection.
Does anyone know what that range would be.
Ie. If I warm the prey to the aprox 100 degree live mouse temp range how long would the hemostat need to be to avoid the snake mistaking me for the prey?

Old 06-27-2008, 08:04 AM   #2
hhmoore
John,
The more important danger zone to be aware of is the snake's strike range, as that is more limiting. The snake can detect prey before it can reach it (unless the prey animal sneaks up from behind
Anyway, to answer your questions, I've seen articles stating that they can sense less than half a degree of temp difference at distances over 2 meters.
I generally use, and would recommend, the 18 inch hemostats. There is a 24 inch version; but the ones I had didn't have "grooved" tips, so it was harder to grip the prey item (or whatever I happened to be grabbing)...though it isn't that hard to do a rough version of that at home. I've just found the 18 inch to be more functional over the years.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:07 AM   #3
John E Dove
Thanks for the info as well as the tip on the 24 inchers
I was torn between 18 & 24. I believe the strike range is about 2/3rds the body length outward, slightly less upward.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:32 PM   #4
atwageman
www.bluelakeproducts.com

Visit that website for hemostats. They have the best price I have ever fround. They carry everything up to 24". They are easy to deal with and ship fast.

My personal collection of hemostats is large. I have every size from around 4" all the way to 24". Both straight and curved. It all depends on what I'm doing and how big the snake is will determine what size I use for what task.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:47 PM   #5
ChuckHurd
In response to your direct question, the ambient temperature in the room will be relevant to how far out the snake can detect you. assume your body temp is 98.6, the snake will detect that quicker and (probably) further away in a 70 degree room, then it would in a 90 degree room. A few years ago, we conducted an experiment. we used a latex glove, filled with gelatin. we heated the test hand to 98 degrees. we tested at 90 degrees, 85 degrees, 80 degrees, etc all the way to 55 degrees. we found that all test subjects struck more often as the temp decreased in the room. snakes that would not strike at all at 90, were hitting the hand at 70 and below.
now, for what you didn't ask, but should be aware of, they use way more then the heat seeker to ID food. at one of our labs, the snakes are in a 15 x 30 room. we can be feeding the rattlesnakes on one end and see food responses start in the cottonmouths on the other end, 30 feet away. the sense of smell is very defined in the animals. hope this helps.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:03 AM   #6
Bill Stonegate
Chuck, you're a moron. I don't have anything else to say about your animal handling
skills.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:32 AM   #7
ChuckHurd
glad you are a fan. its always good when people know you. sorry to say, i have no clue who you are. =) keep casting those dispersions on those more well known then yourself. i am sure that will gain you some notoriety. ha ha

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!