please read - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 01-18-2003, 02:50 PM   #1
gatorman
Stop! please read

I am living in vermont which I am sure you can imagine is very back woods. People who own exotics are basically considered freaks. I have a huge passion for exotics,especially reptiles. I have several snakes and monitors and have gotten alot of grief over them from most everyone(neighbors threaten to burn my home etc.)
I am an intellegent individual and know to check my state laws before buying exotics. aprox. 2 years ago I purchased a 4' american alligator. he was wonderful and I enjoyed him alot. A Vermont fish and game officer came to my house and asked me if I owned an alligator.I said yes, he then tried to convince me that they are illigal in this state quoting a law about indiginous animals. As we all know, gators dont live in vermont. he took the gator, I contacted his department constantly for 3 days. they then brought the gator back and told me I had to take it out of state. there was not a single document exchanged on this case.
I figured it was back tracking on their part and they made a mistake,just the same,I parted with my gator. This past summer I purchased two babies that were extremely tame. Late one afternoon this fall I was raided by fish and game on a warrent they obtained becouse someone called in a report that I was soliciting puppies to feed my gators(keep in mind these were 02' babies).The law they are trying to use this time is that I imported wild animals without a permit. I think we all know that a farm raised gator is NOT a wild animal. I bought them in this state so I didnt even import them.
I hired a really good lawyer, he has checked all the laws and there is NO law that says you cant own any sort of crocadilian. Of course when Fish and Wildlife found out we were fighting it, they destroyed my baby gators. we are fighting this case, It has been long and expensive but the state is in the wrong. this is going to result in a big ugly lawsuit.The local newspapers are totally taking the states side and making me out to be an idiot.
So in conclusion, It is great to stand up for your rights, If you dont,noone will but the bottom line is- As wonderful of a country as this is, it isnt entirely free. the federal,state and local government does what it wants regardless of the laws. Its truely sad that a animal lover who was doing something good for the world is so badly defamed and made out to be scum. The sad thing is, no amount of court hearings or dollars spent will bring back the lives of those poor baby gators. We hobbiests offer a new lease on life for animals that were destined for the skin shop or dinner table.
Sorry this is soo long, I really hope people take the time to read this and I thank all that read this. sincerely corey kingsbury
P.S. Please tell everyone you know about this,direct people to this post and help tell my story. I can give my home # and also my lawyers # if anyone feels they can help in any way.
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2003, 03:10 PM   #2
Uffern
That is terrible, but not surprising in the least. I wish there was some way I could help you. Small comfort, I know, but when your name is dragged through the mud, keep in mind that others won't have to lose their pets under the same circumstances if you win. I'd go for monetary damages as well. Good luck.

Old 01-19-2003, 11:52 AM   #3
Gary Walsch
I really can't believe that in this day and age people are so backwards and assinine. Your story really breaks my heart and if I were you I would move ASAP ! When I first moved into the house I am in now people would ask me if I fed strays to my big burms and retics and what I always told them was that they were more than welcome to watch them feed if they wanted, most of the neighbors were too frightened but the ones that did I think actually felt better knowing how things happenned. I couldn't suggest the same thing for you because it's too late for your babies. People need to be educated, even backwards country freaks like you are dealing with ! This is a prime example of where someone doesn't understand something so they either kill it or get rid of it rather than try and understand and accept it. I would take legal action if I were you and go to the fullest extent of the law !!! I hope your story is the last one like it I will ever hear, but it probably won't be ......

Also hate to be a pain but don't forget to post your full name or your post may be deleted. The easiest way to do this is to include it with your signature so its done automaticly.

Old 01-19-2003, 12:56 PM   #4
NocturnalNature
Gary,
Unless I read the thread wrong he did post his full name. It is Corey Kingsbury.

Old 01-19-2003, 01:24 PM   #5
reptileguy
BOI

Quote:
Also hate to be a pain but don't forget to post your full name or your post may be deleted.
Well, I hate to be a pain, but this isn't the BOI either. Please, call me out if I am wrong, but are now required to post your full name here too??

Mark

Old 01-19-2003, 01:58 PM   #6
Tony
We had the same problem with the Humane Society. They confiscated and killed 20 baby red ears. We also tried to fight it. But instead of them fighting back, they just kept trying to extend the case. The longer it was extended the more we had to pay the lawyer. Eventually we could no longer afford our lawyer and had to drop the case. It ended up costing us almost $5000 for nothing. They have more funds than we do. It is hard to fight a government funded company. Good luck.

Tony Alles
www.reptileguru.com

Old 01-20-2003, 03:41 PM   #7
gatorman
thanks to all that replied to this post. If anyone knows any organizations that help stand up for our rights please let me know. My home phone is 802-584-4147. If for some reason someone feels they can be of a help, my lawyers telephone # can also be made available.thanks for your time,corey kingsbury

Old 01-20-2003, 06:49 PM   #8
Charlie McCullough
Re: please read

Quote:
Originally posted by gatorman
......The law they are trying to use this time is that I imported wild animals without a permit. I think we all know that a farm raised gator is NOT a wild animal. I bought them in this state so I didnt even import them.
I hired a really good lawyer, he has checked all the laws and there is NO law that says you cant own any sort of crocadilian.
My sympathies. Not trying to stir up trouble......but a couple of questions/comments on this.

Don't know nothin' about gators' but.....they don't fit my definition of a "domesticated" animal. Perhaps that is the context in which "wild" was being used to describe yours (i.e. not a "domestic" animal).

Second, if you bought them instate from a gator farm.......a logical question is how does the farm get away with having/raising them? Perhaps a permit? If so, mebbe you need to be more diligent. If not, then sounds like you've got a claim against the state for "denial of due process".

Not trying to be judgmental here.......but if I'd already had the State Game/Fish folks come to my house and confiscate an animal, I think I'd make sure I done all the due diligence before I went and got more.......and gave 'em an excuse to come back again.

just my$.02

Old 01-21-2003, 06:51 AM   #9
gatorman
well charlie, these gators were bought in state from a hobbiest that couldnt care for them. There are no gator farms in vermont, If that was the case, I would have obtained some sort of documentation. I also have a question for you. How many years does an animal have to be bred in captivity before YOU consider it domesticated? That is another story,anyways we definatly cant argue that a CAPTIVE BRED CAPTIVE BORN animal is NOT wild.
As for obtaining more gators after the first was taken: As I stated in the first post, the gator was returned to me without any paperwork filed, a simple call to my lawyer verified that there is no law prohibiting any crocodilians. Lawyers have access to large data bases containing state and federal laws so if anyone should know, I believe he would. I apolagize for being on the defensive but I am a very responsible, law abiding citizen that took all proper actions before obtaining an exotic. the system has failed once again. This has been a very sickening experience,all the local newspapers ran front page stories bashing me, I hear about it on a daily bases everywhere I go. People seem to take great amusement in others misery. I posted this thread looking for support from the herping community. Noone should be more simpathetic than fellow reptile lovers. Well thanks for your response charlie, it gave me an oppertunity to explain my situation further. if you have any other questions feel free to ask.
I would also like to apolagize for my bad grammer.

Old 02-17-2003, 07:45 AM   #10
gatorman
Unhappy gators

bringing this to the top,hope everyone reads it. thanks

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!