New Species Of Phallus-shaped Mushroom Named After California Academy Of Sciences Sci - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:10 PM   #1
RSS_news
New Species Of Phallus-shaped Mushroom Named After California Academy Of Sciences Sci

As part of ongoing research on Sao Tome and Principe, a new Phallus mushroom has been discovered and described. Phallus drewesii belongs to a group of mushrooms known as stinkhorns which give off a foul, rotting meat odor. There are 28 other species of Phallus fungi worldwide, but this particular species is notable for its small size, white net-like stem, and brown spore-covered head. It is also the only Phallus species to curve downward instead of upward.

More...

Old 06-15-2009, 04:15 PM   #2
Uroboros
Quote:
but this particular species is notable for its small size, white net-like stem, and brown spore-covered head. It is also the only Phallus species to curve downward instead of upward
I guess I should see a doctor, then.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:17 PM   #3
Shadera
Looks like a phallus but smells like rotting meat. Sounds like a bad weekend at the frat house.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:59 AM   #4
TheFragginDragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uroboros View Post
I guess I should see a doctor, then.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:09 PM   #5
Abby
The first time I found a stinkhorn mushroom growing in my yard, I was super creeped out. I had no idea why there was dog genitalia growing out of my lawn. Talk about freaky!

Old 06-24-2009, 04:04 PM   #6
Will0W783
Lol! Does your .... hang low? Does it wobble to and fro? Can you tie it in a knot? Can you tie it in a bow? Can you throw it over your shoulder like a continental soldier? Does your .... hang low?

Old 06-24-2009, 07:42 PM   #7
snowgyre
Haha, when I took a mycology class as an undergrad, I remember a story my professor told the class. Apparently there was this nun at a Catholic school that was on the absolute warpath with these things, since they would crop up in the same place in the school grounds every year. She would work herself into a frenzy destroying them, and the girls would always giggle behind her back.