Please Help, Humidity for cage - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-24-2009, 08:12 PM   #1
Little Money
Please Help, Humidity for cage

Ok, I am having issues trying to keep the humidity up on my cages. I need to know what is the best way to keep the humidity up.

First cage: 5'X3'X3' Homemade cage has wired top for ventilation. 6' Albino burm

Second cage: 55 gal glass aquarium with locked screen top 4' Ball Norm

Third cage: 25 gal glass aquarium with locked screen top 34" Lav retic

All the snakes are very active, except after getting full.

I tried to search the forums and all I could find was keep a humidifier, but not what is best to do.

Thanks for any help in advance

Old 08-24-2009, 09:03 PM   #2
dimperdoo
step 1 is no screen - you're likely to end up w/ nose rubs. And, you'll never maintain humidity w/ a screen top (except may drippers like for some lizards?)

You would be better off (for now) w/ rubbermaid/sterilite type containers. And, you're going to eventually need real snake cages for that large of animals.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:13 PM   #3
Little Money
ok let me post pictures.

First picture: Is front, of big cage and the doors are Plexiglas.

Second picture is the top

Third is the ball python's cage, I removed the drift wood and stuff for pictures.

Fourth is the temp cage for the baby retic

Also it is night time, and i removed the lights for the pictures. Also I am using newspaper due to the vet telling me aspen was not good for the snakes if they happen to ingest some of it. I liked the aspen because it helped keep moisture

Old 08-24-2009, 10:29 PM   #4
Little Money
Also, I have no issue altering the big cage to cover the top and build vent holes n the sides or back. I built the cage and have some things I want to finish in the coming weeks. I have to build her a hide box, a second level and put the trees in there.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:56 PM   #5
dimperdoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimperdoo View Post
step 1 is no screen - you're likely to end up w/ nose rubs. And, you'll never maintain humidity w/ a screen top (except may drippers like for some lizards?)

You would be better off (for now) w/ rubbermaid/sterilite type containers. And, you're going to eventually need real snake cages for that large of animals.
You don't want the snakes to be able to touch any screen!

suitable temporary would be like pegboard top covers for aquariums - less ventilation=higher humidity - they do need to breathe but, at a much lower rate than we would envision.

The same pegboard could be employed to replace the existing top of your viv. Such an enclosure would be suitable for many lizards - but, not for tropical /jungle snakes

belly heat too - if the humid is low, put the water bowl on (or part on) the flexwatt or ? belly heat.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:02 PM   #6
Little Money
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimperdoo View Post
You don't want the snakes to be able to touch any screen!

suitable temporary would be like pegboard top covers for aquariums - less ventilation=higher humidity - they do need to breathe but, at a much lower rate than we would envision.

The same pegboard could be employed to replace the existing top of your viv. Such an enclosure would be suitable for many lizards - but, not for tropical /jungle snakes

belly heat too - if the humid is low, put the water bowl on (or part on) the flexwatt or ? belly heat.
I was just talking with my wife about buying a multi level cage system. On the 2 glass cages they have the flex heaters underneath.

I have no issues with putting pegboard on top.

Thank you

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!