SEARCHING FOR SD RETIC - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-19-2019, 11:07 AM   #11
Serpent Mo
Sorry, not sure on the differences in temperament. This little lady's my first retic and so far she's an angel.

Old 03-19-2019, 12:23 PM   #12
AbsoluteApril
In general with retics, there's not a big difference except when it comes to breeding season and males can get antsy, pushy and sometimes bitey.

Old 03-19-2019, 12:27 PM   #13
Krj-2501
Well in terms of temperament between males and females among dwarf/SD retics (or crosses). In my personal experience (I presently have 2 males & 2 females) - both sexes seem to be fairly calm, yet very curious, and active snakes, generally speaking.
They are almost never what could be considered to be defensive (hissy, & bity). Overall - all 4 of my SD crosses are a joy to own.

By comparison - I use to have a pair of pure Dwarf Burmese - which were the most defensive & ill tempered snakes I have ever own. They were the complete opposite of my SD retics.

Old 03-20-2019, 01:54 PM   #14
WILD BILL245
i would love to hear from more retic owners and their experiences with them. samsom pruitt from slither inc, i saw on the repticon site will be at the atlanta show in april and i'll check him out. anyone has or had an albino lavender retic. from the pics they look real nice. i would like a nice looking morph with some dwarf or super dwarf in it and max out at 8 to 12 ft.

Old 03-20-2019, 02:00 PM   #15
AbsoluteApril
Your request for a max of 8-12 ft would pretty much have to be a high percentage super dwarf.

Our sd pair (75% kalatoa (SD) 12.5% jampea (dwarf)), the male is over 7' and female is 10'. Our 75% dwarf male is about 12' or so and 50% dwarf female is easily 16-18'. Each snake grows differently and size depends on a variety of factors, mostly genetics and food intake, I just wanted to give some examples to show that you're probably going to want to focus on high % SD.

Good luck in your search!

Old 03-20-2019, 04:11 PM   #16
WILD BILL245
thank you for the info. since the males are smaller in size than females i think i better have my focus on a male and i kind of like the sunfire albino lavender retics. they are pretty and i know their not a dwarf but would you say as it got older and i limited the food intake( i don't mean starving it to death lol ) that i could keep it at a managable size?

Old 03-20-2019, 04:32 PM   #17
AbsoluteApril
I don't have enough experience to advise but in general stunting by lower feeding with snakes is only poor for the snake and they will generally reach max adult size over time regardless. just my $0.02

Old 03-20-2019, 05:08 PM   #18
derrickryantrujillo
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILD BILL245 View Post
Does an albino lavender sunfire retic keep it's pretty deep orange and white color when it gets older and is their much difference in temperament between males and females or is it between each one and how it's raised?
Yes, combining albinos with other genes such as sunfire, tiger, and golden child (just to name a few), allows them maintain their dark yellow/orange and bright purple/lavender coloration into adulthood.

The purple albino tiger combo is my favorite!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVkqlGgOUUc&t=10s

The white albino tigers are also impressive!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh83Z9ZpnkA

I personally would NEVER purchase a single gene albino retic, as their coloration drastically fades as they approach adolescence and adulthood.

Also, I would not recommend a lavender retic as a pet, their colors are less impressive in comparison to their purple and white counterparts. However, when used in a breeding program, 2 lavenders will produce all 3 Clark albino phases.

Males tend to be more aggressive than females during breeding season, especially when housed within a near vicinity of other snakes.

Old 03-20-2019, 05:14 PM   #19
Krj-2501
Quote:
Your request for a max of 8-12 ft would pretty much have to be a high percentage super dwarf.
Not Necessarily. I have heard of even pure mainland females being in that size range - at until they are 8-10 years old. And I have heard of 50% super dwarf females that are roughly the same size a pure super females. In fact the feeding schedule, frequency and amount are equally as important as the retic's genetics, in helping to keep the retic at a modest size.

Prehistoric pets has plenty of videos on the subject. As they have healthy adult pure mainland females which are the size of dwarfs(9-12'). They also have 50% Kalatoa females which are the same size as pure Kalatoa females (about 7-8' long, and weigh about 6-8 lbs).

Like wise - the mother of my Purple Albino, Suntiger female(Topaz) was a pure mainland retic - which was about 7-8 years old(last spring), and about 11' long, when she laid the clutch Topaz came from. Topaz's father is a 50% Kalatoa male which is about 6-6.5' long.

Old 03-20-2019, 05:28 PM   #20
AbsoluteApril
My sizes were just examples based on my observations and what I've seen from other keepers. I know each snake is different.

edit to add -but I also think sizes are downplayed or smallest examples are shown in some instances (sometimes for sales) and people might have incorrect expectations.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!