New house and a home "snake" business - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-12-2008, 05:49 PM   #1
jpman78
New house and a home "snake" business

I've been looking to move for awhile being as I'm in a fairly small house and my "herp" room is almost at compacity.

About a week ago I found a house, fit all my bills, had room for a very good sized herp room, walk-in incubator, as well as living space adequate for what I wanted in the rest of the house.

Saturday I went in to make a formal offer and was handed the covenants for the division. I immediately flipped to the "animals" section where it specifically said "pets shall not be maintained or bred for commercial purposes"

Needless to say I wasn't happy...especially considering EVERYONE (builder, selling realtor, buying realtor, etc) involved knew what I was going to do in the basement. The realtor got back to me on the exact meaning per the attorney and he said that not only couldn't I breed my snakes but they also weren't even considered pets. I laughed at this and said if it can be bought in a local pet store I'd say it was a pet.

They selling realtor said no one would ever know and being as they were in the house she doubted anyone would care....but needless to say I passed.

Since that time I have had the realtor look at atleast 8 other subdivisions and their covenants and restrictions and ALL of them disallow breeding for commercial sales......

I'm looking for some suggestions or ideas? A real estate attorney might be my next recourse.