PLEASE READ AND GIVE OPPINION! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Miscellaneous > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics not appropriate for the Miscellaneous sales, wanteds, or trade forums.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:36 AM   #1
hdavidf309
PLEASE READ AND GIVE OPPINION!

So, i was wondering- what product is best?????
Cleaner/deodorizer?
For crested geckos that dont perfer CDG?
LAYBOX substrate?
Vitamin supliment for crested geckos?
" " for leopard geckos?
Humidity source?

PLEASE answer to the best of your knowlege!

Old 08-13-2010, 01:26 AM   #2
blondebabe567855
well I offer my cresties both CGD and baby food and they eat both but it yours don't like the CGD then I would suggest giving them baby food and mixing calcium dust in it or even mixing a little bit of the CGD in there... OR giving them a dab of honey mixed in with the CGD.
Cleaner I use vinegar and water mix, but it leaves a bit of an oder I also have heard that "wipeout" works great... you can get it at petsmart.
laybox substrate tropical bedding that is compressed that you mix with water (ex. 4 quarts of water and let it sit for 30 min) it keeps moisture VERY WELL and is soft and fine.
Vitamin supliment... I personally don't like flukers.. it tends to not stick to the crickets but others I like..
humidity source I put moss in the cages in spots they like to hide as well as a small humidity box with moss for them to go into. I'm going to try putting bedding in them next time as well.
HOPE IT HELPS!

Old 08-13-2010, 02:32 AM   #3
hdavidf309
Thank you for the input. i was thinking of wipeout, because you are right- its a pretty good product, but the thing is- did you know that you have to use wipeout TWO for all amimal "furnishings", and even the terarrium bottom?! The wipeout (one) is only for the 4 sides of the tank. COST COST COST!! haha. as far as a substrate, thats what I was thinking, for humidity, I found an AWESOME product on bigappleherp.com (great site, by the way). Its called a humidity matt. Its "flooring" that you soak in water that heats up like a heat pad. Its totally safe, and from what I understand- it does the trick. So, I put some cantelope in a blender and made it a puree and put it in withthe cresteds. They love it!!! Thank you!

Old 08-13-2010, 03:54 AM   #4
blondebabe567855
Your welcome I am glad it helped. I did not know that there was a wipeout one and two.. as for the furnishings I soak them in my sink with hot water as hot has the water will get and about a half cap full of bleach and then I soak them in another bath of scalding hot water and let them dry completely (or if I'm in a hurry I use vinegar and water and you don't have to let them dry completely) I will have to check out that humidity mat. at petsmart there is a bedding I forget what it is called but it is little humidity balls and they absorb water and they go under the substrate however the product is not online so you would have to go check it out in a store if there is one close to you. Glad they liked the pureed cantelope, you should also try pureeing some bananas or apples mine love those!

Old 08-13-2010, 11:27 AM   #5
hdavidf309
Yeah, I am gonna experiment with food, and see if I can maybe start adding gdg to it and see if they will eat that! That might work better, and it is better for the animal than baby food too. As far as the heat mat, those are pretty awesome and at a good price too. I've seen what you are talking about. They are called hydroballs. I am really afraid that they might be dangerous, and my cresties might eat them or something haha. I actually almost bought them last night! Haha....its like you are in my head. With my furnishings, I scrup them off very in depth, fill my sink with scolding hot water and let them soak, then dry and put back. I personally dont use bleach at all, and as far as vinigar- I would try it if it didnt smell! By the way, would it be stealing your thunder if I said I wanted a chahoua pretty bad and might get one? i really want to get a female chewie to breed with my male crested!

Old 08-29-2010, 12:32 AM   #6
AltitudeExotics
Feeding your crestie baby food is very bad, there bodies are made to cope with the sugars, and even with adding calcium and stuff, he will slowly loose weight and become more and more unhealthy. Same problem as feeding them only crickets, your basically killing them very slowly. Best thing to do is use your finger and put drops of CGD on his nose, he will lick it off and learn its food. Do this for about a week, then give him a week and see if he starts eating on his own. If not, repeat for another week.

Best cleaner is Chlorhexidine. Its what vets use, and harmless when diluted correctly. You can get a gallon online for $20 and it will last you years.

For lay box substrate i use vermiculite, and sphagnum moss. 2 parts vermiculite to 1 part moss. Get it wet, mix it up, them squeeze all the water you can out of it.

As for vitamin supplements, nothing should be necessary on top of CGD. If you feed crickets i alternate between calcium powder with D3 two times, then a reptile multivitamin once.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:20 AM   #7
LauraB
Quote:
there bodies are made to cope with the sugars
I'm sure he meant their bodies are NOT meant to cope with the sugars. I like the Repashy formulas and I alternate between calcium with D3 and without the D3. Dusted crickets & roaches a couple times a week, along with fresh fruit for variety.

I agree with chlorhexadrine - Novalsan works great for all my reptile cages.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:15 AM   #8
AltitudeExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraB View Post
I'm sure he meant their bodies are NOT meant to cope with the sugars.

Me smarts

Old 09-01-2010, 11:01 AM   #9
hdavidf309
Its been a little bit since I got a response on this post, but I'm glad i did. I have come a long way in figuring out new "methods" and whatnot when it comes to my crested geckos. Here, I'll answer MY OWN questions, and you can tell me what you think, ok....
cleaner/deodorizer-quatricide TB works awesome for me!
Don't perfer CGD- I agree with Laura B completely.
laybox substrate- I use exo terra's "forest moss". works awesome.
humidity source-misting, and this contraption called a humidimat does the trick for me.
vit/nutrients- Don't use many. I dust crickets every other feeding, and then feed them thier cgd mix (read further)

As far as for the baby food- I was reluctant when I bought the male because the seller was feeding him the baby food and rickets exclusively, and he said that was a good stable diet. Last time I buy anything from him, needless to say. After lots of learning, I have them on my own suppliment. I combine fresh organic fruits, CGD, and some water and blend it to make a nice puree as thick as maybe a milkshake would be. they get this every other day, and on the days they don't, its crickets dusted with calciu powder (with d3). I do have to say, though...they were losing weight like you said and havent bred yet, and I was worried, but I think things are doin better now. Thanks for all of the responses. Keep posting so I can have your input and oppinions. JUST TO SPICE UP THE POST- maybe, if you just have general advice on subjects, have heard of or know of AWESOME products on the market, etc... bring them up here. I would love to know of anything beneficial to the care of my reptiles, and of course any special methods or secrets. Talk to you soon!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!