lizard died in my car.... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:39 AM   #1
redskinsdude
lizard died in my car....

i was just at the havre de grace reptile show last weekend and my manager decided to be an idiot and play wit one of his lizards as i was driving. well it jumped off and escaped and after 3 hours of searching we never found it. a week later, the thing is dead and smells horribly. i have done a thorough search with no luck. any ideas? how long will the smell be here?
thanks
tyler

Old 05-17-2010, 08:12 AM   #2
angie.h
Poor Lizard....try running your { gloved} hand thoroughly under the seats....meaning the bottom of the actual seat. When people but from me at the shows I tell them NEVER open box in the car,that's what can happen.Try under the dash as well.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:20 AM   #3
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by redskinsdude View Post
i was just at the havre de grace reptile show last weekend and my manager decided to be an idiot and play wit one of his lizards as i was driving. well it jumped off and escaped and after 3 hours of searching we never found it. a week later, the thing is dead and smells horribly. i have done a thorough search with no luck. any ideas? how long will the smell be here?
thanks
tyler
Unfortunately long after it has lost all of it's fluids. It is more than likely under the dash, (I have heard of similar escapees and lizard to snake ended up crawling up there and expiring) Short of finding it and cleaning the area where it died it is going to somewhat of a permanent fixture (especially during the warmer months).

Old 05-17-2010, 12:23 PM   #4
garweft
If you were looking for a reason to buy a new car I think you might have found it.....

Old 05-17-2010, 01:22 PM   #5
brd7666
Back in 1993 I had a five gallon bucket with some mice in it sitting on the floor of my truck. I had the lid off so they could get some air. The bucket had stucco or something on the inside and I never thought the mice could climb up and get out. It was night time so it was dark, all of the sudden I feel something run accross my foot. So I turned on the dome light and to my suprise, mice all over the place. I never found them all, so you can guess what happened. The smell lasted for over a week. Now that it is summer, leave your windows down, it will help dry it out faster, and air it out. I would drive with the a/c on and the windows down. After the animal dries up the smell will go away. It's a bummer, but they say, crap happens. Good luck.

Old 05-17-2010, 03:28 PM   #6
SamanthaJane13
I'm so sorry you lost your little one!!

One the positive side, to get rid of the stench, stick a couple of the Renuzit Super Odor Killer gel deodorizers in your car. That should take care of it-or go to an auto part shop and buy a can of Ozium deodorizer. We used to use that to cover to smell of weed in our cars...way back in the Stone-Age.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:11 PM   #7
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaJane13 View Post
We used to use that to cover to smell of weed in our cars...way back in the Stone-Age.
There you go, smoke some weed to cover up the smell of the dead lizard. And if you smoke enough you'll forget it ever happened.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:35 PM   #8
redskinsdude
i dont even mind if it takes a few weeks for the smell to go away, i just want to make sure that it isnt there forever... its in my moms car and i dont get my car back until i get the smell out of there.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:40 PM   #9
redskinsdude
Quote:
Originally Posted by garweft View Post
If you were looking for a reason to buy a new car I think you might have found it.....
mom just bought me a bmw and she is driving that until i can get the smell outta hers...

Old 05-17-2010, 04:59 PM   #10
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAND View Post
There you go, smoke some weed to cover up the smell of the dead lizard. And if you smoke enough you'll forget it ever happened.
Unless smoking was the cause of the lizards escape in the first place.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!