Are iguanas mean? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-17-2009, 01:52 PM   #1
birdman123
Are iguanas mean?

I heard they are. I was on a forum that said they can be but I didn't believe it. Just want to know what people on here say.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:00 PM   #2
Miss Tuniwha
Anything can be mean.

I have seen many nice ones, and I have seen many aggressive ones.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:05 PM   #3
birdman123
Should I adopt then? or get a baby? They live long right and there are many out there in need of rescuing.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:10 PM   #4
Miss Tuniwha
First off, you definitely need to do a LOT more research. If you do decide to get one, I would suggest adopting.

But DEFINITELY do some more research, maybe even do some volunteer work with a local herp rescue organization. Get yourself more familiar with them, hands on and such, before making a big decision.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:24 PM   #5
ms_ramie22
Check out www.greenigsociety.org They can help answer any questions you may have and they also have an adoption page.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:51 PM   #6
birdman123
would 6H by 6L by 3W work or do I need bigger?

Old 08-18-2009, 09:39 AM   #7
MDC_Ophiuchus
Ideally, a larger cage would be better. 6 x 6 x 3 is the absolute bare minimum size for an adult iguana cage.

IMHO, green iguanas are almost like owning a large parrot as much as a large lizard. They are much more visually-attuned to their environment than most other reptiles and likewise, get very stressed if something out of the ordinary enters their domain. You have to spend time with them EVERY DAY for them to (hopefully) grow into a relatively placid adult lizard, and even then, that's no guarantee. Many adult iguanas retain the personality of a cat; will tolerate the occasional petting and neck scratch, but absolutely abhore being picked up/handled.

Iguanas are, in no way, beginner reptiles. They take the same expert level of commitment and dedication as acquiring a giant constrictor or large tortoise species. If you want something easy and docile, try a bearded dragon or a plated lizard.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:19 PM   #8
rosebud945
Quote:
IMHO, green iguanas are almost like owning a large parrot as much as a large lizard. They are much more visually-attuned to their environment than most other reptiles and likewise, get very stressed if something out of the ordinary enters their domain. You have to spend time with them EVERY DAY for them to (hopefully) grow into a relatively placid adult lizard, and even then, that's no guarantee. Many adult iguanas retain the personality of a cat; will tolerate the occasional petting and neck scratch, but absolutely abhore being picked up/handled.
Excellent analogy, and I would add that a discontented and stressed iguana can do just as much injury or more. They can be very dangerous with tail whips and biting if they aren't socialized really well.

Birdman, did you look at the link provided by ms_ramie22? Please do very careful and extensive research before you decide on an iguana. Rescues are OVER full of green iguanas because they are cute when they are little and "cool" looking and big as adults, but it takes a LOT of work to socialize them and keep them that way. Don't be just another uninformed impulse buyer who ends up burdening a rescue or sanctuary with your pet purchasing mistake.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:31 PM   #9
ms_ramie22
When the males are 5 to 6 feet long and go into their breeding season, they can be down right nasty, even if they are the sweetest iggy in the world other times. Some people have to literally lock them in a separate room until the season is over. They have razor sharp teeth. Actually, I think if I remember right, there is a page on the website that I referred you to, showing some injuries inflicted by iguanas. And then there are the female ones... most don't get as aggressive during breeding, but there is always the dangers of egg binding... which is life threatening and needs to be tended to in a matters of days when detected, or death will ocurr. I just had my female spayed this past year, and to find an experienced vet to do the job is not always easy, and the cost can run up to $800 or more. They may be a cheap, cute $20 lizard, as a baby, but it does not end there...Please think this decision thru....

Old 08-18-2009, 11:38 PM   #10
Tim Cole
Angry

I've been keeping large constrictors and venomous snakes for over 35 years.

I have 1 scar from a bite and it was by a Green Iguana!

They are one of the most common herps dumped by the unknowing public.

Think twice before you get a lizard that may well turn into 6ft long and wanting to do you harm via teeth, claws, and tail whipping!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!