Baby New Iggy Feedback Appreciated - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-25-2011, 12:41 PM   #1
Riga
Baby New Iggy Feedback Appreciated

Hello all

I just got a sweet little baby iggy as a gift a week ago which launched me into deep reptile research. I just wanted to see if I could get some feedback as to see that I was on the right track.

She gets a diet of watercress (mainly), dandelions, endive-family lettuce, and the dark green ... sprouty kind of lettuces. With that she gets some veggies like kolerabe, broccoli and cauliflower and fruits like apple (favourite), carrots, grapes etc.

The temperature for her nest was 26 in the beginning (or 26 in the middle I should say) but I noticed she was always plastered as close to the lamp as she could get, so I upped it to around 28 and she seems to respond better to that. The humidity was harder though, as I do not believe in keeping animals in cages. Her nest is open on one side and she trollops around the place sometimes to see what she can find to climb which earned her the namechange from Aya to Rocky. She goes back if she gets cold though which I feel is fine. But the ac dries it up quite effectively. I try to battle this by giving her soaks more often (one day to every other day) and will now also spray the wall of her nest which was a lovely tip I got from here and plasticwrap the open side to keep the humidity in. She has a big watertank (not deep) but she is not very fond of it yet. Not of her soaks either for that matter.

She goes out on the balcony (which is closed) for about 4 - 5 hours until the sun goes away. It gives her a nice range from direct sunlight, climbing my nice Neem tree and the shade on the other side. Her nest has UVB and UVA or Moonlight and theres a couple of basking places around the apartment.

Her behaviour I guess is normal, she is relaxed for most of the time as long as you move slowly when you are around her (eyelid halfway down) but gets these sudden panick attacks sometimes in which she seems to stir and get terrified of me and eyes becomes very large. I guess that's normal for babies ? Since they are not tame yet ?

So. If any of you have any advice/tip I would appreciate it, or any comments at all for that matter I feel I have read all I can about her but sometimes real life experience is a whole other ballgame

Ps. No pictures as of yet (too lazy to transfer them to the computer but she has a nice green colour with a topaz head and the has put on some weight since I got her and the ribs no longer shows. She had some brown spots along her body though that did not go away and I can find no information about.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:48 PM   #2
Lucille
I do have advice. There is an entertaining group of ig aficionados on the following site that has its own forum: http://greenigsociety.org/

Some people have free roam igs. I think it is not a good thing to have a free roam baby. You are free to believe as you choose and you say you do not believe in caging animals. but I personally think that is a disservice to a baby ig but OK when it gets larger.

Welcome!

Old 02-25-2011, 12:55 PM   #3
Riga
Thank you for your comment lucille I did come over that site in my manic research and have read their information but there did not seem to be a possibility of communicating with other iguana owners :/ Or did I maybe miss something ?

Old 02-25-2011, 01:34 PM   #4
Lucille
You did, they have a forum, and you can talk to other ig owners there. http://members2.boardhost.com/greenigsociety/ The people there are quite nice and ready to help.
Of course this board is the best there is for reptiles, but they have quite a good little group of ig people there.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:07 PM   #5
Iguanagirl8662
I wouldn't feed them broccoli and cauliflower from what I've read they are hish in phosphorous and low in calcium so they aren't good as part of a staple diet.

Here is a good website.
http://www.anapsid.org/iguana/

The lady who made that website also wrote Iguanas for Dummies and another book I was told was good was Green Iguana: The Ultimate Owner's Manual
by James Hatfield but I haven't read that one yet.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!