Owing a Aligator..help please!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Crocodilian Discussion Forum

Notices

Crocodilian Discussion Forum This section is for discussions pertaining to any and all topics concerning crocodilians.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:04 PM   #1
tyler1986
Owing a Aligator..help please!!

Hey everyone.I have given this alot of thought.And taken every aspect into consideration.I have never owned nor do i know anyone who owns a aligator.Iv always wanted one but wanted to wait for the right time in life.I understand the maintance and care involved.I aslo belive it is wrong to take on a pet just to not be able to handle later.That being said here are my ?s
1)will a 75gal tank last 3-5years?
2)At what age should i build my outdoor liveing area?
3)how is the typical tank set up?pics would be nice
4)and feeding?what age do they eat what?
I was told that for the first 5 years they grow 1ft a year.The after 5 you shold build an outdoor liveing area.I was also told a 75gal tank will last 3-5 years and you want 1/4 land and 3/4 water.Please help.I wanna make this happen i just wanna have everything lined up and clear head.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:12 PM   #2
BobOblak
Isn't GA part of their natural range? If so, check with your state wildlife regulation agency to see what their permitting and requirements are first. You may have to be "licensed and inspected".

Old 02-12-2011, 01:14 PM   #3
tyler1986
Already have and im good to go.However if i get caught releasing into the wild i will do seriouse time..Federaly.But im not going to so no worries.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:01 PM   #4
GoingPostal
A 75 gallon tank is only 4 feet long, if a gator grows 1ft a year, how are you keeping in there for 3-5 years? I wouldn't even bother with commercial aquariums, the largest wouldn't last for very long, are poorly shaped for space, and very expensive.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:05 AM   #5
tyler1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPostal View Post
A 75 gallon tank is only 4 feet long, if a gator grows 1ft a year, how are you keeping in there for 3-5 years?
I dont know,that why im asking.Becouse these are things i was told and i wanna make sure.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:40 AM   #6
metaldad904
Don't take this the wrong way but i gotta ask. Do you have experience working with crocodilians? I'm not trying to pick on your or anything but you're talking about getting an incredibly dangerous animal and just by your line of questioning it doesn't sound like know much about them at all. Based on your screen name i would assume you are what 24/25 years old? Do you have the means to keep an animal that will inevitably grow to upwards of 10+ feet long, weigh hundreds of pounds and have jaw power that is unmatched in the animal kingdom? Also, being in Georgia it still gets pretty cold...i would imagine your outdoor enclosure would have to be able to be closed off during the winter to keep the animal warm. I'm not claiming to know everything about gators but this isn't exactly an animal you should take lightly at all. They will never be tame, never be trusted and if given an oppurtunity will kill you...it is in their nature. Again, i'm not trying to pick on your or anything like that its more concern for your well being and the animal's.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:58 AM   #8
tyler1986
To metaldad904:to answer your ? about haveing experiance working with or owning any crocs.No i do not.And im going to assume 90% of the people or work with them or own them did not either before takeing on the feat.Also yes i have the means to take of this animal.I won my own home with about an acre for a backyard.Iv already got planes for how i am doing the outsie enclosure.Thanks to the zoo and the wonderfull and helpfull staff there.I am fully aware of the dangers of owning this animal as well.I have done alot of research on how to take care and how to handle this animal.I am mearly wanting to ask more people.Get othere opinions on the things i have been told.
To focal X:Thank you for the info!

Old 02-17-2011, 12:40 PM   #9
bigjej
Tyler - Do not take offense at the questions being asked of YOU. People are trying to be helpful based the questions you asked of THEM. Just peruse the craigslist sections of various states, or even this forum, and you will find plenty of instances showing the result of excited people buying a croc or large snake or monitor or even dogs, without proper research, understanding or experience. Not having had croc experience is not the same as not having had any reptilian experience. Of course someone will have to have their ' first croc ' but it should not be their first large reptile, nor their first aggressive reptile because they a.)live long time b.) grow quite large c.) become quite expensive to properly care for d.) difficult to find proper homes for when owner decides can't/won't keep any longer and e.) VERY DANGEROUS even when smaller and kept by experienced keepers and/or institutions. The previous poster was making an observations of your post that were quite obvious. We might all be wrong, but it seems as your decision was made after speaking with a couple of people, maybe petshop owners or others with little proper experience. Before asking questions, which you should always do of course, it is best to spend quite a lot of time reading the available material on whatever topic you are interested in. This one for instance, has a lot of reputable, very available, reading material online and in print that answer most of these questions. By asking what you did, it seems like you haven't done enough research on your own. No one is being nasty, only expressing legitimate concern for you, your potential pet and this hobby which is constantly paying for the mistakes of irresponsible, ignorant or unscrupulous persons.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:43 PM   #10
bigjej
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1986 View Post
I have never owned nor do i know anyone who owns a aligator.......
I was told that for the first 5 years they grow 1ft a year.
Who is doing the telling if you dont know anyone who has owned an alligator? Talk with some experienced owners, and not the guy on NY CL who keeps showing photos of his hatchling caimans but rather people who have kept and raised to adulthood large and smaller crocidilians. If you ae still interested, then perhaps try starting with a smaller, easier to house, species.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!