Attention All Iguana Owners! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-06-2005, 10:08 PM   #1
Beardie_Guy
Attention All Iguana Owners!

I know somebody on another site, www.turtletimes.com, where a woman called beanster, an iguana owner, has a very sick igguana. He is a great animal. his name is JenJen and a great icon in her area. He was shot with a BB gun pellet. this has given him amounts of lead and zinc in his blood. please go here and see if you can help her.

Old 12-06-2005, 10:10 PM   #2
Beardie_Guy
http://www.turtletimes.com/forums/in...howtopic=34309

here is the thread.

Old 12-07-2005, 04:34 AM   #3
Lucille
Levi, she is welcome here; but it does sound like she must have a vet's advice since you are posting about the lead and zinc. Why not ask her to post here and tell us what has happened so far?

Old 12-07-2005, 06:43 AM   #4
Beardie_Guy
well, she has gotten a lot of advice. every vet she brings him to says he is a dead end. the vet gave her something to help. it will supposably get all the lead and zinc out. I will mention the idea to her.

Old 12-07-2005, 09:01 PM   #5
Beardie_Guy
she lost her password, so the best thing would probably be to e-mail her.

Old 12-09-2005, 11:49 AM   #6
beanster
I was finally able to log in.Yes,I have three vets on the case.We did bloodtests(general panel and tox screen),fecal,X-Ray and urine.It is not a BB gun pellet but an airgun pellet,used to hunt small animals.Most are made of lead but some have zinc or copper in them.We don't know which one it is but the tox screen did show a low level lead and zinc poisoning.He has low blood albumin but protein in his urine.Based on that the vets concur that an operation is out of the question.It is possible that the kidneys got injured as the pellet is stuck right in front(above on the X-Ray)of his left kidney.It has not moved.We took several X-Rays over weeks.So the question is:where to go from here.The vet declared it a dead-end.I am treating him right now with Bentonite to draw the metals out of him and give the kidneys a rest.I hydrate him and spoonfeed him to keep his nutrition up.He altogether does not look that bad,his color is good,he takes and interest in what's going on and headbobs but he has developed gout(swellings)and cannot use his back legs.Any help or idea would be appreciated.

Old 12-10-2005, 11:04 PM   #7
beanster
After a talk with Dr.Cauble it was decided that the pellet has to come out as the effects of poisoning are altready there and are going to get worse.So I set up an appointment with Dr.Greek.the files and X-Rays are already on the way so he knows what to expect.PLease send good thoughts that the operation will be a success and my iggy-son will be a healthy,happy lizard again.

Old 12-11-2005, 02:11 AM   #8
Junkyard
Sabine, good luck. Iggy and you are in our prayers, thank you for being a leader and putting forth such an effort to save your iguana. You are a great example.

Old 12-11-2005, 08:26 AM   #9
Ginger Ambrose
Any new news ? I will keep you and you beloved Iggy
In my thoughts and prayers. You are a good Mom, to him.
It is wonderful to see owners that value thier pet over
thier pocketbook.

Ginger Ambrose

Old 12-11-2005, 11:44 AM   #10
beanster
On Friday we will be off to Dr.Greek for the surgey.It is going to be a long ride,like an hour and a half away but he is the only one I trust with the surgery.I will keep you posted.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!