First Time Dragon Breeder Needs Tips & Help - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-24-2004, 03:44 AM   #1
(hed)420
First Time Dragon Breeder Needs Tips & Help

Hi guys. My female bearded dragon just recently laid some eggs for the first time. She laid 6 eggs on the 20th, 3 on the 21st, 5 on the 22nd, and 1 on the 23rd. This is my first time breeding my dragons so I really don't know what to do. I read the article named incubating dragon eggs,,,, posted by herpcondo ,Which by the way was very helpful (Thanks guys!)
I put the eggs in my Hova-Bator and keep them at about 84º-86º and mist them with warm water about twice a day. But I've been noticeing for a couple days now that when I open the incubator, it releases a really bad smell, and just yesterday (the 23rd) I started seeing fungus on a couple of the eggs.

Does this mean that there's too much humidity in the incubator?

Some of the eggs look like they are wet, and when I touch the perlite it feels wet aswell. So I removed part of one of the plastic viewing windows inorder to release some of the humidity and to get some fresh air in.
Also, some of the eggs don't look right to me. 4 out of the 6 eggs that she laid on the 20th are a bright white color while the other 2 are a yellowish color, and 1 of the yellowish ones was very small compaired to the other ones (about half the size) and had many dents in it and was sunken. I've been misting this one alot and it's starting to take on a more roundish shape.
All the other eggs that she laid after the 20th also have a yellowish color to them, and some have dents aswell.

Is this normal?

You could see a red spot in the eggs though.

I was also wondering if the fetus would die if you tip the egg while your handling it?
Like other reptile eggs do.

Should I separate the eggs in its own container so that the fungus doesn't spread to the other eggs? I only have one incubator.

Could I wipe off the fungus with some tissue paper or with a q-tip? Will the fungus hurt the eggs?

Any tips on this subject would be great apreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-24-2004, 08:40 AM   #2
herpcondo
A couple of things,,

The eggs that are yellowish, are probably not fertile, or are eggs with dead embryos,, So I would discard them for sure,,,
A good egg should be white, and turgid to the touch,, ALso you should not handle or move dragon eggs once the embryos start to develop,,

Another thing that would help if you are using a hovabator is to use an incubation box to put the eggs in,, I Don't use a hovabator, but i have friends that do,, and you can buy disposable gladware that will fit in the hovabator,, and it need 2 very small holes in the top for some air exchange,, put the perlite or vermiculite in it 1:1 by weight and place the eggs in it 1/2 buried. and leave it alone! don't mist it, and don't mist the eggs for sure! once a week, open the top and let some fresh air in, and if needed add a little water, but it should take very little, and add it to the pearlite or vermiculite, not next to the eggs,,,
I have never had a female lay eggs on different days,, all mine lay all their eggs on the same day, in usually about a 1-2 hour span,,
I am assuming you had a seperate egg laying bin..? ( egg laying bin is a seperate container that has 12-16 inches of moist sand, most females will dig a nice deep hole, spin around head out, and lay there eggs in the bottom of the hole...) It is possible that the female may have had a hard time laying, or no suitable egg laying site was provided,, either way,, it is not normal in my collection for a mutiple day lay,,
As far as the fungus goes,, i usually discard eggs with fungus on them,, it is very rare with my eggs,, so i don't really have that problem,, but it can over take good eggs,,so i would seperate them for sure,,,
Hope some of this helps,,,and feel free to drop me a line,, if needed,,,

Old 04-24-2004, 12:35 PM   #3
Uffern
What he said. With the exception of putting holes in the gladware, what he said is exactly what I do and it works well. Also, none of my dragons ever laid some one day the more the next. You might want to gently feel around on her belly to make sure she isn't retaining any eggs. If you feel anything questionable, take her to a vet. As far as the smell, infertile or otherwise nonviable eggs have an unpleasent odor. I could often discern which eggs were good and which weren't by smell sooner than by sight. Good eggs shouldn't really have any smell. Good luck with them.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!