Is Clear Acrylic Spray a Bad Idea to Seal a Wood Rack? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:23 AM   #1
Zuke72
Is Clear Acrylic Spray a Bad Idea to Seal a Wood Rack?

I recently constructed a temporary bp rack from a shelf and some counter top board. I figured I should seal the countertop on the bottom of each shelf to prevent the wood from retaining moisture above the tubs. I used krylon clear acrylic gloss and let the shelves dry outside overnight. Brought it back in and it still smells a little like paint fumes so I put a fan on it. It didnt really cross my mind the clear acrylic would be a problem but now Im worried. What do you think?

Old 05-01-2012, 03:42 PM   #2
darkbloodwyvern
does it still smell? Those sprays take a while to air out, I would personally wait a week of it being away from any animals (or two or more) because they need to sit and defume

Old 05-01-2012, 04:13 PM   #3
AGoodwin
to help speed up the process, you can put a bowl of water on each shelf. It is supposed to help absorber the fumes. Candles work well to burn off the fumes, but with a rack, that probably isn't a good idea.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:55 PM   #4
Violetdixie
I bought a used melamine rack last summer. I thought it would be cool to spray paint the entire thing silver. Then I noticed that every time i touched it, silvery particles ended up on my hands, so I used the clear krylon gloss spray on the "ceilings" of all the tub bins. The rack was left to dry for about a month and a half while waiting for eggs to hatch. I have not had any problems with the babies or the rack. The clear spray does seem (so far) to be an ok water repellent/sealer, as I've not noticed any rotting thus far in the areas where I acidentally powerwashed the melamine coating away. My rack probaly has 3 coats of spray on the ceilings.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:41 PM   #5
mxracer4life
Min-wax polyurethane is best in my opinion. Give it 3-5 days to dry and air out, then you are good to go.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!