Unlawful arrest and detention - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 08-22-2012, 12:58 PM   #11
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metachrosis View Post
Free Legal Representation will not vindicate this man,"the need" is for Legitimate Representation.
What does that mean, and why would it cost $10,000?

Old 08-22-2012, 01:14 PM   #12
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by JColt View Post
In one message earlier this month according to authorities, Raub wrote: "Sharpen my axe; I'm here to sever heads."

I'm all for freedom of speech but if you choose the wrong words it will cost you. I dont understand the defense fund. He has not been charged with a crime and has a lawyer to look out for his interest from civil liberties group.

The family posted one of the facebook postings but here are others that federal agents contend posts made by Raub were “terrorist in nature.”
“Sharpen up my axe; I’m here to sever heads.” Raub posted to Facebook on August 13, 2012. The post appears to be a lyric from the band Swollen Members and its song “Bring Me Down.”[/b]
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...ebook-threats/

Old 08-22-2012, 01:22 PM   #13
Dennis Hultman
Support Grows for Former Marine Arrested for Posting Anti-Government Messages to Facebook

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2012/08/21...s-to-facebook/

Quote:
Support is growing for a former Marine who was locked in a psych ward for posting anti-government messages on Facebook. The man in question, Brandon Raub, says he loves his country, but posts made recently on the social networking site garnered complaints from the online community.

Some of the comments include the likes of the following two, from August 12 and August 13 respectively:

“Friends, you deserve to know the truth. There has been an overwhelming amount of evil enacted and planned against you, your children, and your countrymen. It is great in scope. Your government evil. It is as simple as that.” The next reads, “sharpen up my axe; I’m here to sever heads.”

F.B.I., Secret Service and Virginia police then took Raub into state custody, allegedly without a warrant and without reading him Miranda rights. Virginia state law allows police to commit someone for an emergency psychological evaluation if they get a recommendation from a mental health doctor, and authorities say they never officially arrested Raub — he was only handcuffed because he resisted police.

However, a Virginia civil rights group disagrees, saying that when you’re handcuffed and taken away, that’s an arrest.

A defense attorney from the group who is representing Raub, John W. Whitehead, said in a statement yesterday, “For government officials to not only arrest Brandon Raub for doing nothing more than exercising his First Amendment rights but to actually force him to undergo psychological evaluations and detain him against his will goes against every constitutional principle this country was founded upon.”

Follow Fox News Insider on Twitter

Given the circumstances with the things that have gone on in the country with some of these mass shootings, it would be horrible for law enforcement not to pay attention to complaints,” said Dee Rybiski of the F.B.I. in a response.
So says the Precrime division.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:23 PM   #14
Dennis Hultman
Huffo Post

Quote:
RICHMOND, Va. — A former Marine involuntarily detained for psychiatric evaluation for posting strident anti-government messages on Facebook has received an outpouring of support from people who say authorities are trampling on his First Amendment rights.

Brandon J. Raub, 26, has been in custody since FBI, Secret Service agents and police in Virginia's Chesterfield County questioned him Thursday evening about what they said were ominous posts talking about a coming revolution. In one message earlier this month according to authorities, Raub wrote: "Sharpen my axe; I'm here to sever heads."

Police – acting under a state law that allows emergency, temporary psychiatric commitments upon the recommendation of a mental health professional – took Raub to the John Randolph Medical Center in Hopewell. He was not charged with any crime.

A Virginia-based civil liberties group, The Rutherford Institute, dispatched one of its attorneys to the hospital to represent Raub at a hearing Monday. A judge ordered Raub detained for another month, Rutherford executive director John Whitehead said.

"For government officials to not only arrest Brandon Raub for doing nothing more than exercising his First Amendment rights but to actually force him to undergo psychological evaluations and detain him against his will goes against every constitutional principle this country was founded upon," Whitehead said.

Raub's mother, Cathleen Thomas, said by telephone that the government had overstepped its bounds.

"The bottom line is his freedom of speech has been violated," she said.

Thomas said her son, who served tours as a combat engineer in Iraq and Afghanistan, is "concerned about all the wars we've experienced" and believes the U.S. government was complicit in the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. One of his Facebook posts, she said, pictured the gaping hole in the Pentagon and asked "where's the plane?"

Whitehead said he found nothing alarming in Raub's social media commentaries. "The posts I read that supposedly were of concern were libertarian-type posts I see all the time," he said.

The big concern, Whitehead said, is whether government officials are monitoring citizens' private Facebook pages and detaining people with whom they disagree.

Dee Rybiski, an FBI spokeswoman in Richmond, said there was no Facebook snooping by her agency.

"We received quite a few complaints about what were perceived as threatening posts," she said. "Given the circumstances with the things that have gone on in the country with some of these mass shootings, it would be horrible for law enforcement not to pay attention to complaints."

Whitehead said some of the posts in question were made on a closed Facebook page that Raub had recently created so he questioned whether anyone from the public would have complained about them.

"Support Brandon Raub" Facebook pages have drawn significant interest, and other Internet sites had numerous comments from people outraged by the veteran's detention.

Raub's supporters characterized the detention as an arrest, complaining he was handcuffed and whisked away in a police cruiser without being served a warrant or read his rights. But authorities say it wasn't an arrest because Raub doesn't face criminal charges.

Col. Thierry Dupuis, the county police chief, said Raub was taken into custody upon the recommendation of mental health crisis intervention workers. He said the action was taken under the state's emergency custody statute, which allows a magistrate to order the civil detention and psychiatric evaluation of a person who is considered potentially dangerous.

He said Raub was handcuffed because he resisted officers' attempts to take him into custody.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:41 PM   #15
WebSlave
Quote:
But authorities say it wasn't an arrest because Raub doesn't face criminal charges.
Maybe they need to look up the definition of "arrest".

So now the "authorities" can slap handcuffs on you and haul your ass away just saying it's nothing but a friendly invitation to a chat at the station? Sheesh....

Once you have had your right to freedom of movement taken away by anyone having the authority to do so, you have been ARRESTED.

Quote:
He said Raub was handcuffed because he resisted officers' attempts to take him into custody.
Yeah, he resisted WHAT, exactly?

"Taking into custody" is not being placed "under arrest"?

Apparently he was not permitted to leave voluntarily so yes, his freedom of movement was ARRESTED.

I guess the term "terrorist" is not the only term coined from modelling clay these days.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:53 PM   #16
Dennis Hultman
Attorney Statement on Brandon Raub; Raub to Be Detained Indefinitely
http://www.dailypaul.com/249888/atto...d-indefinitely
Quote:
CHESTERFIELD, VA— The Rutherford Institute has come to the defense of a former Marine, 26-year-old Brandon Raub, who was arrested, detained indefinitely in a psych ward and forced to undergo psychological evaluations based solely on the controversial nature of lines from song lyrics, political messages and virtual card games which he posted to his private Facebook page. Although the FBI and Chesterfield County police have not charged Brandon Raub, a resident of Chesterfield County, Va., with committing any crime, they arrested Raub on Thursday, August 16, 2012, and transported him to John Randolph Medical Center, where he was held against his will due to alleged concerns that his Facebook posts were controversial and “terrorist in nature.”

In a hearing held at the hospital, government officials disregarded Raub’s explanation that the Facebook posts were being interpreted out of context, sentencing him up to 30 days’ further confinement in a VA psych ward. In coming to Raub’s defense, Rutherford Institute attorneys are challenging Raub’s arrest and forcible detention, as well as the government’s overt Facebook surveillance and violation of Raub’s First Amendment rights.

“For government officials to not only arrest Brandon Raub for doing nothing more than exercising his First Amendment rights but to actually force him to undergo psychological evaluations and detain him against his will goes against every constitutional principle this country was founded upon. This should be a wake-up call to Americans that the police state is here,” said John W. Whitehead, president of The Rutherford Institute. “Brandon Raub is no different from the majority of Americans who use their private Facebook pages to post a variety of content, ranging from song lyrics and political hyperbole to trash talking their neighbors, friends and government leaders.”

Brandon Raub, a former Marine who has served tours in Iraq and Afghanistan, was detained by FBI agents and police officers at his home in Chesterfield County based upon the nature of content posted to his Facebook page in recent months. Like many Facebook users, Raub uses his Facebook page to post songs lyrics and air his political opinions, as well as engage in virtual online games with other users.

On Thursday, August 16, police and FBI agents arrived at Raub’s home, asking to speak with him about his Facebook posts. They did not provide Raub with a search warrant. Raub was cooperative and agreed to speak with them. Without providing any explanation, levying any charges against Raub or reading him his rights, law enforcement officials then handcuffed Raub and transported him first to the police headquarters, then to John Randolph Medical Center, where he was held against his will.

Outraged onlookers filmed the arrest and posted the footage to YouTube. Law enforcement officials have stated in press reports that Raub was not arrested. However, as attorney John Whitehead points out, if the police have put handcuffs on you and you’re being held against your will, that qualifies as an arrest.

In a hearing before a special justice on August 20, government officials again pointed to Raub’s Facebook posts as the sole reason for their concern and for his continued incarceration. Ignoring Raub’s explanations about the fact that the Facebook posts were being read out of context and his attorney’s First Amendment defense, the special justice agreed that Raub should be incarcerated at a VA hospital for up to 30 more days. Rutherford Institute attorneys are working to challenge Raub’s detention and the highly unconstitutional nature of the government’s actions.

SOURCE: The Rutherford Institute

Old 08-22-2012, 01:55 PM   #17
Metachrosis
Thanks Dennis,I was heading that direction myself
Surprised Hillary Clinton didn't beat you to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Hultman View Post
“Sharpen up my axe; I’m here to sever heads.” Raub posted to Facebook on August 13, 2012. The post appears to be a lyric from the band Swollen Members and its song “Bring Me Down.”[/b]
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...ebook-threats/

Old 08-22-2012, 01:58 PM   #18
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metachrosis View Post
Free Legal Representation will not vindicate this man,"the need" is for Legitimate Representation.
What does this mean? He is being represented by a very well respected institute. I have no doubt he needs representation at this point, but why exactly does he need $10,000 if the representation is free? Who made the $10,000 figure and where is the list of what it covers?

Old 08-22-2012, 02:09 PM   #19
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Maybe they need to look up the definition of "arrest".

So now the "authorities" can slap handcuffs on you and haul your ass away just saying it's nothing but a friendly invitation to a chat at the station? Sheesh....

Once you have had your right to freedom of movement taken away by anyone having the authority to do so, you have been ARRESTED.

Yeah, he resisted WHAT, exactly?

"Taking into custody" is not being placed "under arrest"?

Apparently he was not permitted to leave voluntarily so yes, his freedom of movement was ARRESTED.

I guess the term "terrorist" is not the only term coined from modelling clay these days.
Yeah, no arrest here.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:11 PM   #20
Dennis Hultman
Mother speaks out. Rutherford Institute steps up to represent son.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!