Indigo Python - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-20-2006, 06:42 PM   #1
Nero557
Indigo Python

So my friend has one of the nicest snakes I have ever seen and it is an Indigo Python. I know these are endangered (he is a wildlife biologist/marine biologist/herpetologist) and has permits and what not for everything he has... anyways, I haven't seen him in a while but how endangered are these snakes and is there any other snakes that look like these beautiful pythons?

Old 04-20-2006, 07:17 PM   #2
starwarsdad
I have never heard of an indigo python. Do you know the scientific/Latin name?

Old 04-20-2006, 07:56 PM   #3
Nero557
well that was the thing I don't know anything about it except that... I don't talk to the guy anymore but I used to and when I was checking out his animals I saw that one and it just awed me... he told me it was an indigo python and it made sense to me because it was a dark dark bluish black (indigo) so I figured that he was right... then again I also have come to realize later on that he isn't the brightest of all people and I learned that just because he went through school doesn't make him mr know all... the snake looked like glass, it was about 4ft and it doesn't constrict, it eats kind of like my tegus do... it picks up the rat by the head and slams the rat off the side of the tank and then just scarfs it down... he thinks he knows all but he really doesn't, it's sad because just some kid (myself) seems to know more than he does...

Old 04-20-2006, 08:11 PM   #4
Clay Davenport
Sounds like he had an Indigo but those are not pythons. Did it have a reddish colored chin?

Old 04-20-2006, 08:25 PM   #5
Skunky
I was just about to suggest maybe it was an (Eastern) Indigo snake...Drymarchon.

Google for pics and see if they resemble what your friend had

Old 04-20-2006, 08:26 PM   #6
Nero557
not that I remember the whole entire thing was the same dark blue almost black, and it even had black eyes... no other colors, the belly was a little lighter than the back, but it was still a dark dark blue... I wish I had a picture... I used to trust everything he said until I found out most of his information was crap, he used to try to tell me to feed my tegus cat food with little pieces of fruit smashed in it, which is fine to get your tegu to eat fruit, but he was telling me as a staple diet... which I know is wrong... I feel bad for a lot of his animals too, he has a 6ft slanted neodesha enclosure with 3 full grown tegus in it... a blue a red and an arg. black and white. he gave one of his poisonous snakes to his dumbass brother who like a few weeks before got his house raided for drug dealing... and his brother is a total melt and doesn't even know what he's doing with his own life, let alone an animal... so those are just some of the reasons I don't talk to him anymore... but that snake was just incredible, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't endangered and if it isn't then I would like to get one... that's why I decided to see if you guys could help me

Old 04-20-2006, 08:32 PM   #7
Nero557
I just looked for the indigo and found what you guys were talking about (red chin) but no, his snake was more rounded and thicker and the color was way more glossy (seriously looked like glass) I'll keep looking for pics and maybe I can find one

Old 04-20-2006, 08:33 PM   #8
Clay Davenport
The coloration along with the fact it didn't constrict still leads me to believe it was an eastern indigo.
They are endangered, but you can still legally own one if you go through the proper channels and buy from a breeder. They are not cheap however. I know certain permits are required for interstate transport and you must keep proof of being captive born from the breeder. I'm not completely familiar with the specifics in this area, but I'm sure you can get all the info you need on that in the Drymarchon forum.
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...play.php?f=659

Old 04-20-2006, 08:34 PM   #9
Nero557
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/phot...cat/517/page/1

that one kind of looks like it, but the head was more like a pythons and it didn't have the lighter coloring like this one's chin, maybe this is the snake, and he just got a nice looking one... or something...

Old 04-20-2006, 08:38 PM   #10
Clay Davenport
You made your last post as I was typing mine.
If it wasn't an indigo, then the only this that springs to mind would be a black milksnake (L.t. gaigeae)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!