How do you know who to buy from? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-23-2012, 10:50 PM   #1
lowstorm
How do you know who to buy from?

I live way up in the frozen tundra... well, not really.

But I want SO bad Nosy Faly's. I've been researching chams for the past month, and I know that
1) I will have to wait until spring to ship
and
2) I will have to ship as noone in MN sells them.

Anyway... I recently read on a different thread here that people are passing other chams (half-partial-whathaveyou) as Faly. But there's also not a lot of sellers of Faly...

So looking around I can find wild caught, a person with mediocre rating here selling WC but captive hatched babies, and then the occasional person with a stray female for under $600.

For a first cham, would it be the stupidest thing in the world to buy WC? I would assume yes, since there are CB available. But how can I trust either one?

Old 01-24-2012, 01:30 PM   #2
rcarichter
Do a BOI search on some of the better known breeders, and find one that has great reviews. Then email them with your concerns and questions. You should be able to find someone you're comfortable with. There are a lot of chams out there, I wouldn't go wild caught. It's just a lot more potential problems than you need.
Once you've found your animal, it's possible they won't ship it in sub-freezing weather. Please don't pick a seller solely on their willingness to ship quickly. Just be patient.
Finally, keep every email and text until you've had the animal for awhile. Do business in writing (via email) so you have record of the entire transaction. Good luck!

Noelle

Old 01-24-2012, 04:39 PM   #3
camille2785
The Trader Ratings section might help you at least get started. You're in the right spot (with the forum) to find someone in your area or at least who will ship and do business right.

I have to agree with @rcarichter, definitely don't rush. Best of luck to you!

Old 01-24-2012, 06:33 PM   #4
lowstorm
Oh gosh, I would refuse to have one shipped until May! Its waaaay too cold up here. I'm doing research and such now... And while whats available now may change by then, I figure I'll at least have a good list made by then.

Thanks for the tips though!

Old 01-24-2012, 11:02 PM   #5
~Just Curious~
I think you should definitely go with a CBB animal, especially for your first. I usually say that anyways, but chams are more sensitive than most.

The Board of Inquiry is great for researching! Also just by you discussing your plans and taking part in cham discussions, you're likely to meet some breeders on the forums who can lend you advice.
Once you've found one - often just talking about the animal, their care for them, and their lineage/background really helps you get a feel for the seller too. (I agree that email is best since you can look back on them later) They should know about the animal they're selling and be able to answer your questions. There shouldn't be anything for them to hide really, if anything they should be proud, the more info they give the better. I'd be wary if a seller hedges or can't/won't clearly answer things.

I'm sure you'll have found a few good folks by the time you're ready! Best of luck to you~

Old 01-27-2012, 08:48 PM   #6
Beardiefreak26
i have had great experience with buying cresteds from Chameleons Northwest which also sell Chams of course. This is their available page http://www.chameleonsnorthwest.com/c....htm?Vl=2&Tp=2

Old 01-31-2012, 11:49 PM   #7
Texas Ranger
We breed Nosy falys and have babies right now. And yes it is true that some people sell fake falys it puts such a bad name out there for us that are doing it right. anyway our email is sublimeexotics@ymail.com you can email us for more info... here is a few pics of our faly breeders let me know what you think. We are breeding for nice blues and bright whites

Old 01-31-2012, 11:57 PM   #8
Texas Ranger
Alos you are right again there is only a few people working with real falys as you see above. I think of maybe a hand full. but not many.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:42 PM   #9
lowstorm
You make me drool lol

Of course, I have a few months to wait (or maybe just one, the way the weather is up here. We are having the warmest winter on record, its crazy) But yes, I've read and saw that you're on the 'faly' list

Old 02-01-2012, 02:06 PM   #10
Texas Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowstorm View Post
You make me drool lol

Of course, I have a few months to wait (or maybe just one, the way the weather is up here. We are having the warmest winter on record, its crazy) But yes, I've read and saw that you're on the 'faly' list
Really I didn't know there was a list ... I just want to make cool chams email us when you are ready for a faly also thank you for the complements we love are falys

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!