Quick question on feeding - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-23-2013, 07:24 PM   #1
CyberReader
Question Quick question on feeding

Hi. I recently purchased a baby hognose and could use a little help. I've been feeding her a pinky every Monday and Thursday. Today she got nippy with me when I went to put her in her feeding box. Is this normal behavior for hoggies, or do I need to feed her more often? Thanks in advance.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:57 PM   #2
CyberReader
Oops.

Seems the post before me had a similar question! Just to clarify, my little girl took the pinky fine. I'm just wondering about the snapping. Don't want to stress her out or anything. I also don't want to feed her too much or too little.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:52 AM   #3
Dwellsinshells
I have some that get hissy and dramatic when I feed, and sometimes they strike at their food before eating. I think hoggies are just little drama queens.

It seems normal for them, and they all have their own weird personalities. I have a very sweet male who only ever gives me attitude right after I feed him when I go to put him back in his tub, and a little female who always hisses and coils when I go to handle her. I have others that never fuss at all.

Your little one sounds pretty normal to me, especially for a youngster. I feed my young ones every four days, if that helps, and they seem to do well on that. Just keep handling her gently for short periods of time and she should settle down as she grows up. It can help to pick up a little snake hook or something if you're worried about getting nipped when you reach into her enclosure, although true biting is rare.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:50 AM   #4
CyberReader
Wink Thanks.

Thanks for replying! Yeah, she's calmed down some and doesn't "mouth" me anymore. Guess she was hungry/nervous. Thanks for your input!

Old 01-13-2014, 07:08 PM   #5
Dwellsinshells
I'm glad

Old 02-22-2014, 09:49 AM   #6
Mikesss
I have 6 Hogs now. 2 males and 4 females. The females act like their starved to death even though they eat every 3-4 days. I've fed them on back to back days, twice in one day, small meals, and bigger meals. All will rip the mouse from the tongs or eat right off the ground. They never change. All 4 are crazy psycho feeders every single time. The males on the other hand never want to be bothered. They hiss, strike(well pretend to strike. It's more an act), fly around their cage, and never take their meals from tongs. They want it on the ground and me gone asap. As long as their eating, drinking water, and going to the bathroom then their all ok with me.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:11 AM   #7
Mikesss
I forgot to mention my males are also not consistent feeders. They'll sometimes eat every feeding for maybe 2-4 weeks then decide they want to eat maybe every 10 days or so. Sometimes even longer. Their like people..Eat eat eat and then go on a diet, eat eat eat and then go back on their diet.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:51 AM   #8
ben sassaman
Just curious why people feed outside of the enclosure??

Old 02-23-2014, 10:09 PM   #9
Mikesss
I never do. I feed inside the same enclosure they live in.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!