High School Grant, $3000...HELP!! - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 01-10-2006, 10:38 AM   #11
Junkyard
The problem with your idea of a little "world" is that there is no place for any of these animals to run and hide if in danger. There is no way they can escape a bad situation. They cannot get away, they are stuck in a small enviroment. Every side of their world contains a wall, some see through, some not. There is always another animal that may take their hide/home, a place to hide is superfluous to them.

Old 01-11-2006, 04:34 PM   #12
vferra7777
The Grant

The money is always an important consideration to any public school teacher. Sometimes we have to do things we normally wouldn,t do to get it for the "big picture", but killing even arachnids is not something you can do in a PUBLIC SCHOOL. I/we need it for other things I feel are important to do my job as well as I can. I understand though what others are saying that the animals may or will die.

First, I have not started the project nor have I purchased any animals. I was allowing my students to research animals that according to environmental factors MAY be able to co-habitat. Then they were allowed to trim that list down to animals that either piqued their interest or just fit the environment.

I came here with my students, they are here now, and are actually writting this post in the first person, to ask advice. We do not want to kill any animals especially in a public school setting that will be heavily scrutinized by those that "dish" out the money (Please do not read anymore into what we type than what we type). We are trying to learn about animals, ecology, interaction, adaptation and all the other categories of biology.

We would like advice that would help us do the project the right way. All we are asking is that someone out there has been able to keep at least 2 different animals together in the same cage/environment for a time without stress or death.

Mr ferraiolo, our teacher, said this along with kingsnake.com would be the place to go for expert advice. The people on here are really no different than are fellow 16 year old classmates. You ask for help and all you get are people talking about you behind your back (you know some of you are) and NEGATIVE criticism that accomplishes nothing. My name is Jennifer and I honestly cannot believe professional adults have written what they have written when we just asked for help.

I have been a high school teacher for 10 years and I have never had any group of students behave the way you all have behaved when we just asked for advice. You mean to tell me it is impossible to keep any two different classes (amphibia, reptilia, insecta) in the same ecosystem without one perishing. MOST of you have been completely worthless and a terrible embarassment to us. We will continue on our own and figure it out locally through Off The Ark and Noah's pet stores. THEY actually made an effort to give positive contructive advice.

To those that have actually helped us, we say thank you. To the others there is nothing to say besides you make most teenagers look better by example.

If any of you care to see how it turns out (please do not respond because we will no longer answer anyone from this forum back. You will be wasting your time) you may go to sciline.net, click on biology and see our project unfold. We probably will make a few mistakes and it is quite possible that an animal will die. We are terribly sorry for anymistakes we made, but problems will always arise in any project. It would have been nice if someonme would have just contacted us and said..." you know, it is not very alluring BUT I have been keeping anoles and house geckos together with a few millipedes for over a year now and they seem fine". This came from Wyatt and we thank him for his kindness and cooperation. must be others out there who are not embarassments to the hobby let alone a modern civilised world.

GOOD BYE!!!
Thomas Dale Biology Classes 2005-2006
Chester, Va 23832
(804) 648-6245

Old 01-11-2006, 07:18 PM   #13
RosterImposter
These people only gave advice for the animals safety. It is more important to us than your little project.

You wanted to keep tarantulas, mice, 2 Jacksons chameleons (1 is hard enough to care with all these other animals, they stress very easy), Im not going to go on because it is just way too.....I cant even think of the right word to describe it.

The reason Wyatt keeps those together is because there is little harm that one could do to its other tank mates, however you want to put many different species that might potentially hunt each other in the wild in the same cage.

Jennifer, we care about the ANIMAL's safety, if you put all of those in a cage, they will all die. Not trying to be mean, but it will happen if you house them together. I dont see what you mean when you say "The people on here are really no different than are fellow 16 year old classmates." We are trying to help the animals, and in no way try and make you feel stupid or inferior to us in anyway, it was just a bad idea to put a tortiose in a cage, they require pens.

Mr. Dale, you must have strict rules in your school, we in NO WAY have behaved as badly as you think. We arent being mean, we are being concerned. We understand that you need money, but animals (reptiles and amphibians especially) get mistreated and die by inexperienced people. We do not want to see that happen, so we gave you advice on NOT to do it.

I will be giving you a call, and Im sure others will too. I will probably call around 4pm and hopefully you will be there and will be willing to listen.

Babac Saiedi

Old 01-11-2006, 07:38 PM   #14
Cat_72
The whole problem is.......you asked for advice, and then ignored what was given or argued it.

If you think it is a bad thing or makes any of us "unprofessional" that most of us here are more concerned about the welfare of the animals than your little project, it is a sad commentary on what is being taught in our schools today. The fact that you can be so totally casual when mentioning, "the animals may die" really, really bothers me....

I too understand that getting any kind of funding can be a problem...but if it is clearly obvious that this project will not work, and will cause needless suffering of the animals....why not try something else?

Old 01-11-2006, 09:37 PM   #15
hhmoore
too bad he swore off the forum. I was looking forward to adding my 2 cents. AAAAAAH, what the heck....just in case he takes a peek. In a suitably sized mini-world, several species and even classes of creatures can be kept...PROVIDED that the physical needs of each can be met & maintained over time. Unfortunately, the animals you are suggesting for the respective enclosures simply will not work. Their needs are just too different, some will munch on the others, and some are just not suited to that type of enclosure. If you come back, and would like to try to discuss something that will work, as opposed to something that is doomed to fail...feel free to contact me

Old 01-11-2006, 09:43 PM   #16
Junkyard
Do not be so upset with what was posted, the concern is simply for the animals. I know of many here that will only keep two animals together during breeding season. After that, they are seperated and kept in different cages until it is time to breed them again.

Many here specialize in captive breeding of animals, they do not want all their hard work going straight down the drain over a high school project that imposes a risk to the animals they spent so much time and money on.

Old 01-11-2006, 11:52 PM   #17
The Reptile House
You really do not seem to understand at all that you will KILL those helpless reptiles and that is just sad that all you really care about is the money. Enough said from me and every one else here which is all we care about are the reptiles because that does not seem to be a really big concern for you at all! I hope you really think twice about all the people here including me who are just here to help you. All of us on this site care so much for the reptiles that we own and that is why all of us have voiced such great concern over your "project". We really wish you and your students the best but they really need to know that this is really not such a hot idea and should be taught accordingly. Can't you guys have extra fundraisers or something to come up with the funds rather than kill off quite alot of helpless creatures. I would be more than happy to lend some ideas and contacts in that department if you like, just let me know. Shanell.

Old 01-12-2006, 12:04 AM   #18
RosterImposter
Im just wondering, is any body else going to call him, or is it just going to be me? I mean, he wouldnt put the number there unless he wanted people to call him.

Old 01-12-2006, 12:10 AM   #19
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard
Do not be so upset with what was posted, the concern is simply for the animals. I know of many here that will only keep two animals together during breeding season. After that, they are seperated and kept in different cages until it is time to breed them again.

Many here specialize in captive breeding of animals, they do not want all their hard work going straight down the drain over a high school project that imposes a risk to the animals they spent so much time and money on.
aawwwwwwwww, michael...I liked it better the first way. And this...this version gives no indication of the time and effort you put into the original.

Old 01-12-2006, 09:10 AM   #20
Junkyard
Okay, I saved the first one, so I will repost it as soon as I get home from work.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!