Is this scale ok? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-13-2007, 12:26 AM   #1
Leighanne
Is this scale ok?

Heres the link to it on Ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/52-DIGITAL-POSTA...QQcmdZViewItem Lickity is a female and I read they will get 6 to 8 feet, so how many pounds is that because this has a 52 lb. capacity to it. What kind of scales do you guys use? Thanks guys!

Old 03-13-2007, 12:33 AM   #2
Scott Ashton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighanne
Heres the link to it on Ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/52-DIGITAL-POSTA...QQcmdZViewItem Lickity is a female and I read they will get 6 to 8 feet, so how many pounds is that because this has a 52 lb. capacity to it. What kind of scales do you guys use? Thanks guys!
That scale is overkill - unless you are buying it for something other than weighing your BP.

You'll note that weights for herps are most often reported in grams with 1,000 grams = 1 kilogram (kg). The scale in question has a capacity of 24 kg. In comparison 4,000 grams (4 kg) is a really good sized BP.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:36 AM   #3
Leighanne
So what is a good size because Lickity is the biggest baby I'll be using it for.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:38 AM   #4
Scott Ashton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighanne
So what is a good size because Lickity is the biggest baby I'll be using it for.
In my opinion you would be fine with a scale that has a max. capacity of 3,000 - 4,000 grams.

Check out this site: http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/

I've ordered from them in the past. Fast delivery - decent prices.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:41 AM   #5
Clay Davenport
And what you usually run into with the high capacity scales is the incremental increase is greater. That part is not mentioned in the ad.
What I mean by that is a 500 gram scale might read in .1 gram increments, and a 5000 gram scale might read in 1.0 gram increments. That scale may well read in 10 gram increments. To get a high capacity scale that measures in small increments greatly increases the price.
It also has an accuracy factor of +/- 10 grams.

While it would work for full adult balls, it's not really suitable for an entire collection. Like Scott said, it's just overkill.
I use a scale made by My Weigh. They no longer make the exact model I use but this one is similar: http://tinyurl.com/3x64kn

Mine is a 6000 gram scale that measures in 1.0 gram increments. I also have a 250 gram in .01 gram increments, but I rarely use that one. The one I linked to is a 7000 gram scale and I believe is the model that replaced mine.

You'll rarely have a female ball go much over 3000 grams. There are exceptions of course. However, it's unlikely that "Likity" will ever see 6 feet in length let alone 8.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:46 AM   #6
Cat_72
You're never going to need a 52 pound scale for a Ball Python. A scale that weighs up to 4000 grams would be more than sufficient. Be sure the scale you choose weighs in grams, not just pounds or kg.

I'm not sure where you read the lengths for Ball Pythons either, but it's pretty uncommon for a Ball Python to reach a length of over 6 feet.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:49 AM   #7
Scott Ashton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72
You're never going to need a 52 pound scale for a Ball Python. A scale that weighs up to 4000 grams would be more than sufficient. Be sure the scale you choose weighs in grams, not just pounds or kg.

I'm not sure where you read the lengths for Ball Pythons either, but it's pretty uncommon for a Ball Python to reach a length of over 6 feet.
I believe she may be thinking of lengths in the wild.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:05 AM   #8
Leighanne
Uhm, so why don't they get that big then?

Old 03-13-2007, 01:09 AM   #9
Mooing Tricycle
Im using a USB scale personally, that originally came from radio shack, and it can weigh up to 10LBS i believe. It has different Selections as far as grams pounds and the like go, so its really useful for all sorts of stuff, especially if you send alot of packages out. <3

Old 03-13-2007, 09:13 AM   #10
catawhat
This one goes up to 5000 grams- I have it and it works great.

http://cgi.ebay.com/11-LB-5000g-5kg-...QQcmdZViewItem

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!